How to: 1)Snap to Grid in Schem Editor 2) Set grid to .1 inch?

Using Kicad 6.99 on Win10 64-bit machine.
I’m relatively new to Kicad and its been a few weeks since I last used it…

When using the Schematic Editor I’ll be darn’d if I can remember how to…
1 - Turn Snap to Grid on and Off
2 - Set grid to .1 inches or .05 inches or whatever
3 - Turn Snaps on and off
4 - Set Snap distance
I’ve poked around in Preferences and it didn’t hit me in the face.
I’ve Googled and searched the forum but failed to find the answer I was looking for.
I’m sure the answer is out there but I’ve been unable to dig it up.
So, hopefully some kind soul will help me out.

Thanks for any help.

I am using 6.0…but just right click in blank space on the schematic and select “grid”.

A “trick” (I should have guessed it years ago) for temporarily turning off the grid snap: Hold down the CTRL key while moving reference designations and other objects for which you do not want a coarse grid.

ALT-1 and ALT-2 selects two pre-determined grid settings.

RMB on the grid icon brings you to the grid configuration dialogue.

kicad_Dc6zeDVy0T

where you can configure some parameters, e.g. the grids for fast switching (Alt+1, Alt+2)

kicad_BIvLBG9G3m

To me, RMB refers to the currency in China.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rmb&oq=rmb&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i433i512l2j0i512l3j0i433i512j0i512l3.1042j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What does it mean to you?

Your image is clear enough, but I still do not know what RMB stands for in your context.

To me and others in the IT world: Right Mouse Button.

It would be much clearer for most people to write “right-click” rather than assume everyone knows the meaning of a seemingly random TLA.

I’ve been a professional software engineer for 40 years and “RMB” was not immediately obvious to me.

1 Like

I did a quick forum search for RMB and there were countless hits.
But anyways, a solemn oath is order: never again will I use this abbreviation again in this forum.

Thanks for the help on 2 above…
But I still don’t know the answer to1, 3, and 4 above… about snapping.
Thanks again for any help.

What is your reason for using KiCad V6.99?
At the moment it is probably not a good idea for beginners with KiCad to use that version.

3 Likes

I am not sure what is the difference between your items 1 and 3.

In my opinion, the grid can always be present at some (changeable) value. The question is whether it is acting on your present operation. And holding down the CTRL key allows you to temporarily ignore the grid setting. As a practical matter I do not see much difference between ignoring the grid and setting a very fine grid.

When you right click and select “grid” it allows you to then choose the grid size. I am rather fond of pi furlongs. :grinning:

3: no idea. I can’t even imagine why this would be desirable.
1+4: tricky. I normally set the grid and then go to Preferences → Preferences → “Always align autoplaced fields to the 50 mil grid”. But toally unintuitive I agree.

EDIT: @BobZ: the “Ctrl” option is new to me, but works.

I remember something similar from other software. Maybe schematic capture, Visio, or maybe even Autocad (I ran that under DOS. I am a square who used it to invent the wheel.) :smiley: At least in schematic capture, I am thinking that a grid isn’t even needed for moving ref designations and component values. So keeping a 50 mil grid and using the CTRL key when I want to ignore it might cover 99% of situations. Can anyone think of when a smaller grid (such as maybe 5 mils) is needed as opposed to simply using the CTRL key?

@fran_iii: I understand your question now:
You are used to CAD systems where Grid and Snap are two different things.
KiCAD is simpler: there’s only Grid (=Snap) and you can choose to display it or not.
To me a great solution that avoids a lot of complication when working.

Learn to use the tool, not how to defeat the beneficial features.

And I had to google TLA to find its meaning.

The reason dates back some weeks. You will find it in this forum, somewhere.

But you were on the right track! :ok_hand: :ok_hand:… sorry, wire: we’re on schematic here.

:grinning: Me too… Do you know THNLA?

It is “Three Hundred and Nine Letter Acronym”, also commonly unknown as “309LA”.

Decades ago a friend and I invented the next generation of TLAs:

ETLA: Extensible TLA
UETLA: User ETLA

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I wish I was more AL.

That was intentional. It makes my point. :smiley:

So you do not change or defeat the grid when positioning text such as reference designations? I suppose that can be workable, but as a practical matter I think it means a larger or more confusing schematic diagram.