How do I make a hole at the center of an SMD pad

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Hello, I am trying to use an SMD spacer for my PCB, which requires an SMD pad with a hole I the middle. I tried putting an SMD pad then an NPTH in the middle, however, it became like in the 3D model that I have attached below; the SMD pad is covering the hole. Are there any tips?
Here is the datasheet if interested.

1 Like

The thing covering the hole in the 3d model is the solder paste. As it won’t work anyway with this configuration you could just deselect the layer in the pad configuration.

However, looking from the shape and purpose of the pad, I don’t think it makes much sense to have it as an SMD pad in the first place, as it is clearly a pure through hole pad. Why do you think this would be useful?

1 Like

By “pure through hole pad”, do you mean just using an NPTH with a pad?

For the second question, it is because when I checked the footprint in EasyEDA (pls see picture), that was how they did it (SMD pad with a hole in the middle) though I am actually not sure why it would be useful (I’m still a beginner sorry :sob:).

easyeda >>

the component is a Trough Hole as Tojan pointed out.
The datasheet image you posted tells that the hole could be plated or not, but i think that:

• if you need extreme precision on the position of the spacer is better to do a tightly fitting non plated hole.
  • if you need a stronger connection i’d do a loose fitting plated hole in which the solder could wick in, creating a stronger bond.
2 Likes

jep :slight_smile:

do you plan to let this manufacture somewhere or do you want to use hand soldering? this decides if you may have to add custom solder paste pads to get a stencil layout as pictured in the examples.

They did it a bit different tho: they have one hole and four additional pads around the hole to get the stencil as pictured in the examples. You can also go this road if you want, just one big round SMD pad won’t work as you want it to.

1 Like

@Yardole : try to read the FAQ for new members: New Member Information
If you follow the recommendations you will promote yourself to basic user level and are allowed to attach multiple pictures (and example projects) in your threads.

regarding your footprint: look into library “mounting_wuerth” and examine some footprints. For instance Mounting_Wuerth_WA-SMSI-M1.6_H3.5mm_ThreadDepth2mm_97730356334.
This shows how the maintainers of the kicad standard library created a similar footprint. So you get some inspirations for your own footprints or simply use the provided standard footprints.

Note: the used solution: NPTH pad and surrounding copper without gap between NPTH and copper will later create DRC errors as this normally violates the “copper-edge” clearance of the global board constraints. This DRC error has to be accepted as you deliberately weanted this solution.

Note2: look into your pcb manufacturer design recommendations. Some manufacturers interpret any copper going exactly to a hole as sign for a plated hole, regardless if you defined the hole as PTH/NPTH.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I will try the second option you mentioned. <3

Hi, I am planning to use the PCBA service by JLCPCB.

For the second part, I was trying to create 4 custom pads like they did in EasyEDA, but the KiCAD custom pad has to start from a circle so there is a circle in the middle which when I use it in the PCB, triggers DLC error fsr. I tried downloading the footprint from EasyEDA with the GitHub - uPesy/easyeda2kicad.py: Convert any LCSC components (including EasyEDA) to KiCad library easyedatokicad" tool but have the same problem.

Something like in the below picture. T.T

I see!! thanks for the tips. and i will definitely look into them!!

you can make it, that the circle is part of the pad.

also you can just use a continuous SMD ring as pad and add custom solder paste pads resembling the stencil layout.

1 Like

if the image shows a copper layer, i don’t think it is necessary to do so. A continuous ring of copper is ok from the image of the datasheet.

It’s the solder mask that the ds suggest to break.

1 Like

Not solder mask need to get breaks but stencil (KiCad Paste layers). There is no other way to hole be covered when the paste is spread.

3 Likes

yes, you are correct.

1 Like

I use these and similar quite often and simply use a THT for them.

I press them in and have Pull tested them (generally, it takes about 10 to 24 lbf of force to pull them out if not Soldered (depending if Pressed in with/without using Heat). Haven’t pulled them if soldered - maybe I’ll do that for a fun test…)

Clarifying: Most of my PCB’s are 1 or 2 layers and if I make them (versus having them made) my THT’s do Not have Cu in the Hole (but the Footprint is still THT). The micro-thin wall does not add to holding strength. Thus, for my homemade PCB’s, THT = NPTH with respect to the Hole’s non-copper.

2 Likes