How do I get my product added to the built in KiCad Library?

Hi, I’m new to KiCad but would like to know how to get my companies IC’s and modules added to the default install libraries in KiCAD?

It’s nice to see your enthusiasm, ambitious too, but maybe first start with some smaller steps? Do a few KiCad projects, then extend with schematic symbol and footprint creation.

But when you think you’re ready for it, you can start at:
https://www.kicad.org/libraries/contribute/

1 Like

You can also make your own library downloadable via the content and package manager, here’s more info for it:

You won’t have to comply with KiCad library convention, or wait for the librarian’s approval, but users will have to go into the PCM and search for your library to download it.

1 Like

When you write “my companies IC’s and modules”, what do you mean?

Are you representing a manufacturer and want to get your products’ symbols and footprints into the standard library? You will need to comply with the KLC, allow use under a compatible license: Libraries License | KiCad EDA and get librarian approval. Or you could allow users to fetch it like Dawid_Cislo suggests.

Or does your company use KiCad for design and want to have the symbols and footprints you use often easily available? If so it would be easier to provide your designers with your own libraries.

1 Like

Wow, very good replies from the community. I should have done more research.
Thanks for the quick replies!

Hi @ShotSimon

If you represent a component manufacturer we can also work directly with you to try to help you through the process and sort out any issues. We already work directly with a few component manufacturers and we’d be happy to have more contributing to the KiCad libraries.

Tagging @kliment from the library team, who can comment further and/or contact you directly.

Hi @ShotSimon, this is Kliment from the library team here. It’s so awesome when vendors want to contribute first-party parts, so thank you for considering it! We currently work with a handful of vendors directly, but whether or not you represent a vendor you can always submit parts for inclusion into the library.

Our libraries live on GitLab in KiCad Libraries · GitLab - we have repositories for footprints, symbols, and 3D models, and we have generators for footprints and 3D models which are useful for generating entire part series. If you’re familiar with git and gitlab, you can put merge requests right there and we’ll take it from there and guide you to getting them to match our inclusion criteria. If you’re not familiar with git and gitlab, or have further questions about anything library-related, let me know and I’ll get in touch directly and guide you through the process. My private messages here on the forum should be open.

Also, forgot to mention - there’s some further documentation on how to make good library contributions here: Home · Wiki · KiCad Libraries · GitLab