How do I etch a logo onto my board?

I used Bitmap2Component to generate a .kicad_wks file which I then copied to my personal footprints folder. I expected to insert is the same way as a footprint, but it doesn’t appear in the list when I try. A similar file (.kicad_mod) does show up and insert but it is an awful rendition of the logo. Is the .kicad_wks image liable to be better, and how do I insert it on my PCB?

kicad_wks is just for the page layout, so forget about that, you need a kicad_mod.

Yes, Bitmap2Component is designed to reduce the amount of data generated, and does not always work well depending on the logo. There are other tools that might work better e.g. http://img2mod.wayneandlayne.com/

1 Like

or also svg2mod if the original file is a vector graphic.

Nice to know. Thanks

Thanks bob. I tried image2mod on-line but it threatens me with a vastly oversized footprint. I have queried this and I’ll post the outcome.

vagulus, for the bitmap2mod tool, pick a large input image, and change the dpi setting until it matches the dimensions you want, I found it doesnt loose as much detail this way, however there is a limit. because your design rules will dictate how thin a line can be

1 Like

Now I have a strange thing. I click the image button and get told that bitmap2mod tool has started but it doesn’t appear on my desktop.
What’s the solution to that?

Thanks for that Rerouter. I have some problem getting bitmap2component to work. I’ll have to get on to that before I try your suggestion.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.