How do I choose the right footprint?

I am using KiCad 5.1.2, and following the Getting Started Tutorial. I am having trouble choosing the right footprints for the components. The Assign Footprints dialog does not display images, only descriptions. There is a huge list of choices just for LEDs. I wanted a through hole footprint for a standard 5mm LED. Is there a simple way, or do I have to use FreeCAD as another topic suggested?

For me it is easier to find footprints from PCBNew. Click on add part icon on the right tool bar, 3rd down for my installation.

Ok, I found the LED_D5.0mm footprint and added it to the PCB. It isn’t part of the schematic (no air wire connections). Can I get the same footprint view when choosing components in Eeschema?

I just found the View Selected Footprint button in the Assign Footprint dialog window. Sometimes its the simple things that baffle me. I am trying KiCad as an alternative to Eagle. So far I am liking it very much. Thanks for the reply, MT.

Is this related to this bug:

In the screencapture video I posted there you can see that the preview is not always updated when it should be.
https://kicad-info.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/2X/5/5737f136776b4a809dc59dd7171bfca83dd8325d.mkv

Not really related. My current issue is not being able to assign footprints when working offline. When opening the Assign Footprints tool, the program reaches out to GitHub (https://github.com/KiCad). I have no internet connection at home, and so an error occurs when loading footprint libraries. Is there some way to make these libraries available offline? I have downloaded the symbol and footprint master libraries zip files. I have tried extracting them into the same directory as the KiCad library and modules folders (C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad). I created an environment variable, but without success (KICAD_FOOTPRINT_DIR C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\kicad-footprints-master). This entry does not show as a Global or Local variable in the Manage Footprints Libraries window. Any suggestions?

I am able to create list items in the Footprint Libraries, Project Specific Libraries window. I still get the load error when working offline, but the entries that I create are displayed in the Assign Footprints window. The Display Selected tool works for the .pretty folders that I add to my Project Specific Libraries list. I guess this will work for now. There is no problem, when working in Eeschema, adding symbols. Can my Global Footprint Libraries load from a local directory instead of GitHub? I’m going offline until tomorrow. Thanks for any replies.

Have you used KiCad V4 sometime in the past with the same machine?

If the answer is yes then read: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

And in general: Library management in KiCad version 5

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.