How create component pin number for different footprint pins order?

Hi everybody,
I’m quite new to KiCad, so maybe it’s a stupid question.
I’m trying to create a new part based on the LM5175 from texas instruments.
My issues is about choosing the pin number because it depends on which package/footprint we will choose.
This device comes in two different package, HTSSOP-28 & QFN-28 but the pin order is different from one to the other.
I have created alias for representing these two different version, but I’m not able to modify the pin number only for one alias.

Maybe I have misunderstood how I should work with schematics library editor.
Does anyone have a suggestion to help me ?

Alias won’t help you afaik (that’s just to be able to find the LM5175 also via MyIC, if you put ‘MyIC’ as alias), you need to create/modify an existing LM5175 symbol with the symbol editor and safe it to a custom library (unless you want it to be wiped out when you update the libs that come with KiCAD).

2 Likes

If you have a part that comes in two or more different packages with different pin orders you should create separate symbol for each pin order and package, fill at least the minimal set of fields for each and name them with full manufacturer code. This way you can avoid many issues in the future.

3 Likes

Many thanks for you answers.

This is the workflow designed into KiCAD at this time. In some ways it is cumbersome, but the alternatives I am aware of introduce significant complexity (and potential errors) to the design process. I find it VERY useful to include package information in the “Description” fields for the schematic symbols.

Dale

It seems to be a very good practice. Thanks for the hint.