How come I see a pencil next to topic titles?

I’ve noticed that I now see a pencil icon next to topic titles even those I didn’t originate. It seems I can edit the title when I click on it, but I have not tried saving. Is this happening to others too?

Have I been inadvertently promoted or is this a glitch or expected behaviour? It’s not a privilege I’m likely to exercise, except maybe to correct obvious typos.

Edit: I indeed can save, I added a ? to a topic title then changed it back.

yes …

You are trust level 4 now. Happened to me, too.

No. :wink:

EDIT: @eelik pegged some posters at 3. I thought that was a good idea and pegged some long term posters at 4. Sometimes I’m just malicious.

1 Like

Did not hurt much. The resposibility weighs heaviliy on my shoulders, though. :rofl:

Not just a pencil beside the topic. You will now have a spanner symbol above the date/time on the RHS.
You are a fully fledged janitor, able to wreak all sorts of havoc with this forum :rofl:

That explains why when I flagged a post as advertising for Elecrow it got hidden immediately. I think that was the only useful thing I did.

Geez, life’s too short for world domination. :rofl:

1 Like

I posted this some time ago.
It shows your new cleaning duties, Sir, Mr. Level 4. :laughing:

@hermit has been delegating of recent months… he must be overworked.

Same here - I can edit some but not all posts/threads, even though my profile says basic user.

This forum software sets trust level by recent activity, so even though you joined long ago, you are at a fairly junior level.
You need to give more likes

Hello @Jules

@retiredfeline , as a level 4, now has the ability to edit all topic titles and all comments in all threads by all contributors, no matter how old those comments/threads.
There are also many other functions a level 4 can do.

For example:
A couple of days ago you may have read this thread. A newish member had placed a comment, asking for help regarding a 6.0.7 problem, at the bottom of a 3.5 year old thread dealing with a 5.0.2 problem.

As a level 4,
a new thread, with a title was created
the members’ comment was moved to this new thread
an edit was placed in the members’ comment together with a link to the original thread
an explanation, as to why the move, was placed in the original thread together with a link to the new thread.
The old thread was closed.

The question in the new thread was easier to find.
It was answered.
The problem has been solved.

The only thing left is for the member to edit their own title to [Solved], but, if the member fails to do so, any level 4 or admin can edit that title to [Solved].

2 Likes