How about user layers (overlays) for eeschema?

On the danger of being ridiculed:

ever so often I want to have info in the schematic that should not visible persistently, like current consumptions, calibration voltages… you get the idea. This info tends to clutter a schematic.

So sort of overlay layers would be a charm. I know, I know: this is a schematic editor, no art editor etc. etc. Anyways…

Am I alone on this?

You’re not alone. I usually put these just as notes in the schematic but it would great for them to be on their own layer.

I think this is covered here: Kicad Manufacturing Support Features (#5487) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

Yeah, this effected custom layers in pcbnew, but nothing on the eeschema side.

Yep, a couple of graphic user layers as in PCB. :+1:

EDIT. For a few projects I have resorted to a second schematic sheet to explain the design to myself. It saves those WTF moments a year later when I try to remember why I took a certain approach to whatever in a design. An overlay with the notes would be a lot easier and more convenient.

There’s already this in the database:

I can’t imagine we’d implement that without also making it work for other stuff…

1 Like

Ok, thx. Any plans to take it on, say, for V8?

I don’t think much forward planning has been done on V8 at all (bar the features that didn’t make V7, such as pad stacks and flat hierarchies).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.