Hot to mitre corners when two tracks join at right angles

What I want to do is mitre the corners where two tracks join at right angles like this:

the only way I can see to do that is to draw lines on the copper layer at 45 degrees across the corners but that causes a DRC error.

How can I do that without incurring the wrath of the DRC?

Why do you want to do that?
It is just a waste of time, and the only reason to do so is because some feeling of aesthetics.

That said, what DRC errors do you get?
I just tried it, and I do not get DRC violations.

You may want to turn off: PCB Editor / Route / Interactive router Settings / Options / Remove redundant tracks

Here’s what the DRC says:

[clearance]: Clearance violation (netclass 'Power' clearance 10.00 mils; actual 0.00 mils)
    Rule: netclass 'Power'; Severity: error
    @(2505.94 mils, 5253.98 mils): Track [/5V] on F.Cu, length 249.92 mils
    @(2536.00 mils, 4997.00 mils): Line on F.Cu
[clearance]: Clearance violation (netclass 'Power' clearance 10.00 mils; actual 0.00 mils)
    @(2510.00 mils, 5000.00 mils): Track [/5V] on F.Cu, length 115.00 mils
    @(4060.00 mils, 5000.00 mils): Track [/5V] on F.Cu, length 1550.00 mils

D.

I haven’t done exactly that in Kicad myself, but could it possibly be that some of the teardrop plugin or built in teardrop functionality in the development version could do it?

As far as I understand, a small zone connected to the same net as the tracks could be a way to do it manually (and maybe that is what at least some versions of the teardrop plugins do, if my memory serves me).

Just for some hints where to possibly search, sorry that I don’t have a definite answer…

You have to use copper tracks (start with X shortcut key) instead of graphical lines.

Edit: And HMK’s idea of using a copper zone for the triangles should also work.

I do not recommend any of these methods though. They have no electrical purpose, cost time to draw, and when tracks get moved by the Push & shove router, your artwork gets broken and you have to fix it again.

Change the track view mode to sketch. Maybe there are little portions of tracks with no net assign.

The DRC is likely correctly identifying tracks which do not terminate at an endpoint.

Paul is correct. Don’t bother. DRC is never going to be happy.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.