Holes on board for wires

Hello all!
First question from a newby. How does one make holes in board for wires? In other words, how would i make a hole in a board to insert a wire instead of a pin connector for example?
Thank you all!

I want to solder a wire to board for power without using a pin connector.

place a footprint with a single (plated through hole) pad for each wire connection you want to make.

The hole size of the pad should then be chosen such that your wire fits comfortably into it.

KiCad version 5 comes with a lib called Connector_Wire. This lib holds footprint intended for exactly this usecase.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast response to my question!
Much appreciated! I can adjust the size of the wire to use?

You should be able to edit the pad for drill/hole size. I don’t want to get too specific. I blunder my way through must stuff cuz I know something is there but maybe not the specific place to look off the top of my head. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I will try that. I am making a board and wanted to hard wire (solder) it to another board without using a pin connector. I was afraid the connector would come loose and couldnt find the correct connector on DIGIKEY which would lock the connection. So, I figured I would just solder the wires to the board to keep them from coming loose.
Thank you for your help.

PCBNew will complain a little if there is a pad without an associated schematic symbol. You can still define your wire connection as a single-pin “connector” symbol on the schematic and associate the symbol with whatever pad and plated-through hole you place on the board.

Dale

1 Like

Thank you. I am using PCBWAY to make the board. THey asked me for a centroid (pick and place) file for the board which I never had to provide before but I think I might have forgotten to check a box or something.
Thanks again for quick response.

Friction-lock pin headers are surprisingly secure against shock and vibration, and they make assembly and disassembly much easier.

Dale

2 Likes

ive never heard of them. I will have to look into using this as a good alternative. Thank you for info.

The molex KK (254) series of these even is in the kicad library.

2 Likes

They should only ask for that if they are going to populate and solder the complete board assembly for you. Is that what you intended?

Dale

2 Likes

Thank you. Just looked it up on DIGIKEY. The other end (female) has to be made with the wires though? It would need to have wires installed and connected for the other connector. This is something PCBWAY could do? Sorry for all the questions.
Thank you in advance!

Yes, PCBWAY makes the boards and orders the parts and makes the boards for me.
I had them make boards before with 3-pin connectors but this time I thought I would try the hard wire idea. But the friction-lock pin connector looks like a good idea if PCBWAY would install the wires in the opposite (female) connector for me to connect the two boards together.

These are crimp connectors. The original crimp tool might be quite expensive. But with a bit of skill you can do it with a needle-nosed plier. (or with a cheap all purpose crimp tool)
There are also suppliers out there who sell them with short wires pre attached.

Edit: You can also re-purpose old computer fans. These come with such connectors (2, 3 or 4 connections)

2 Likes

Yes, thats what I need. Pre-order is good. Its for a product im developing and have taught myself everything about electronics, CAD, 3-D printing and ordering through china. Keep hitting snags with the electronics. Simple board but not so simple for someone with zero background.
Thank you for your help.
Im sure it will get me through to the next hurdle.
Glad this website is here.

i was just looking at a computer fan in my office and noticed the connector on it.
I found a few online with the wires already connected.
Ill see if I can get China to add them to the next design batch i make
Thanks again for the help
Much appreciated

For concept validation and prototyping, most of my pin header cables are salvaged from old computers or other electronics. At the least I have to attach a connector on only one end.

The Greenlee PA1176 (available in many hardware and home-supply stores) and the IWiss SN-28B meet most of my crimping needs - even though they probably aren’t intended for the exact terminals I crimp with them…

Dale

2 Likes

Great thank you!
Any good electronic companies around to get wires with connectors already attached? Or maybe companies that may make wires with connectors special order?

a quick google search showed Mouser offers pre crimped wires for molex kk. Order number 538-79758-2024

I am sure you will be able to find more if you look more closely into this

1 Like