Hirose 3d models missing?

Hi,

When ever I come to view my PCB in 3D I come across this eror message:

and seeing that the models are missing on the board.

Now looking online in here I figured these are actually not suppose to be present in the packages directory but heard it could be obtained online.

Any idea what to do?
Thanks.

They are not in the library because nobody has committed models.

If you want to have them right now you can download the models from the manufacturers site here: https://www.hirose.com/product/en/products/DF13/DF13C-10P-1.25V(51)/
Use freecad stepup to align the 3d model to the footprint and export it as wrl and step.
Place the output of stepup at the correct location. ($KISYS3DMOD/[lib_name].3dshapes/[footprint_name].wrl
If you want to share your project make sure the license of these models allows that.

If somebody creates these models either via the scripts or by hand they are welcome to commit them to the official 3d model repo. (We can not simply include the models that can be downloaded at the manufacturer site because of licensing issues.)

Itā€™s like that for quite sometimeā€¦

why didnā€™t out beloved kicad gurus do it yet?Iā€™d love to script them out but no idea on how to do that and these kind of stuff seem to mostly work with linux and Iā€™m running windows.

Because we have a live? We are not paid for this we do it in our spare time!!

Python works under windows as well. Freecad works in windows. So there should not be a problem.
So everything needed to generate scripted models runs under windows.

The same is true for all our scripting tools. (symbol and footprint scripts also use the cross platform programming language python.)

2 Likes

With all this scripting black magic thing it seems like a 10 mins job and this connector is quite common it the OS community as it is used by the common flight controller the pixhawk[quote=ā€œRene_Poschl, post:4, topic:8490ā€]
Python works under windows as well. Freecad works in windows. So there should not be a problem.So everything needed to generate scripted models runs under windows.

The same is true for all our scripting tools. (symbol and footprint scripts also use the cross platform programming language python.)
[/quote]

Not doing well with FreeCadā€¦ still can barely orbit about a model properly.

Have you heard the term ā€œbeggars cant be choosersā€?

I guarantue its not a 10 min job, but Ill be happy to make the models for 200$
Otherwise youā€™ll probably have to wait in line like everyone else or do it yourself
(or perhaps try asking somebody nicely)

5 Likes

I think that bridge is burned. Before his second post i was investigating how much work it would be to adapt one of my generators. Now i donā€™t care anymore.

3 Likes

why donā€™t you spend some of your time in learning a way to contribute to Kicad?
here a useful link for scripting 3D models

I get astonished how people are arguing against some feature missing, without considering that this is an open source projectā€¦
I would very like to see which would be the reply in a forum from a commercial packageā€¦

@Ready_Edi
you can otherwise buy your 3D models from some on-line librariesā€¦ or even better switch to a commercial ecad and pay for supportā€¦ I think in that case your tone would be much differentā€¦

@Rene_Poschl
I donā€™t know if we are seeing some trolls around ā€¦ this is not the first ā€˜strangeā€™ post we saw aroundā€¦
Maurice

3 Likes