Highlight a net in the new OpenGL KiCad

If you had a chance to play around in OpenGL canvas in KiCad you might’ve noticed that there are a lot of things that act differently from what we are used to. One of those things is behavior of highlighting the net. The whole net used to highlight regardless of weather you were in high contrast mode (single layer) or low contrast mode (multiple layers visible). Thus was the name of the function Hilight Net - that is, the whole net was highlighted. In the new and improved OpenGl KiCad now the Highlight the Net function highlights only the active layer net (in high contrast mode). I mostly use high contrast mode during layout and this new “feature” makes this tool virtually useless for me. When I want a net highlighted I want entire net highlighted, not just a portion of the net. I submitted a bug report on the launchpad and the developer responded that it was intended behavior and that he is not going to change anything until more people will support the idea.

Unfortunately we are at the juncture when common sense needs to be voted. So if you prefer the whole net to be highlighted make your voice heard here Sorry for a bit of social activism here but I use this feature quite a bit and I would hate to see it reduced to useless. Click on the little pen sign at the top of the page next to the words “This bug affects you and # other person” and select that it affects you as well.

There has been fix, but it didn’t drastically change the behavior. If you have a multilayer board with ground pours you still can’t see the highlighted net.