Help with Eeschema & second / after modules

Help regarding Eeschema & // after modules in library footprint


I have recently downloaded Kicad version 5:

Application: eeschema
Version: (5.1.2-1)-1, release build
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.6.4 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.1
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 18.2.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.69.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.54.0
Compiler: Clang 9.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:

The download all went well, but I am having problems with foot print as Eeschema is adding a second / after modules in the directory structure.

Example in Eeschema I add a capacitor and I want to associate a SMD foot print with it.

I have checked that I have the libraries installed

/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/Capacitors_SMD.pretty

but Eeschema tries to load the foot prints from almost this place but adds a second / after modules:

/Library/Application Support/kicad/modules//Capacitors_SMD.pretty

Eeschema can’t find this because of the // after modules.

Is there a way to fix this?

Wonder if this is due to having previously had version KiCad version 4 on my computer or some other issue.


Detailed FAQ about libraries after upgrading from V4 in the FAQ and linked below.

You are definitely still using V4 libraries as the library names all became singular in V5 i.e. you have ‘Capacitors_SMD’ but the V5 Libraries are ‘Capacitor_SMD’ . Do you have any environmental variables set (specifically KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR) with a trailing ‘/’ ?

Thank you!

Looking over the FAQ, I think I will go for option 1, to use the version 5 libraries.

Will attempt to do this in the morning.

I followed the first option in the FAQ

Removed all ${KISYSMOD}/ libraries, having the s for plural at the end was a good confidence boost that I was doing the right stuff. I was a little nervous that I had something wrong as the FAQ mentions ${KIGITHUB}) where as mine on the MacBook where all ${KISYSMOD}/ but believed this was probably operating system differences.

Then selected and added all non plural libraries from my version 5 install all at once and it then all worked perfectly, picking up the non plural components including the SMD surface mount electrolytic that had begun my brief trip into purgatory.

I was very nervous about the process but having been pointed in the right direction, everything went smoothly and I am already forgetting the vexation I had after the first install of version 5.

Thank you for such super useful help.


1 Like

The ${KIGITHUB} stuff was from V4 where updated libraries could be pulled in from the latest version stored on GitHub. There were a variety of technical issues with this approach and it has been abandoned. Just ignore the setting. Glad you got it working OK.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.