Help understanding kicad_qrcode.py

I currently have KiCad 7.0.10 installed on my computer (using Windows 10). I’d like to add a QR as silkscreen to my PCB. I can go through the process of having one created online, then convert the image file to a kicad_mod file, then insert into the PCB. But I’d like to learn how to use plugins/scripts.

In this file path, I have a slew of Python scripts, including kicad_qrcode.py:
C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\share\kicad\scripting\plugins

When in PCB Editor, if I click Tools, External Plugins, Open Plugin Directory, the following directory is opened:
C:\Users\matts\Documents\kicad\7.0\scripting\plugins

That difference in file path is in of itself a little confusing. Any explanation on the different paths would be helpful. In any case, I’d like to understand and use the kicad_qrcode.py file. I found it posted online on GitHub here: kicad-footprint-wizards/kicad_qrcode.py at master · KiCad/kicad-footprint-wizards · GitHub

Is this a file I can use to generate a QR code natively within KiCad?? If so, how do I do this? If not, is there some other way to accomplish this entirely within KiCad, without doing the import image and convert to kicad_mod method listed above? I am not finding much helpful information online on this.

Thanks so much!!

This is one of the footprint generator scripts. The Idea is you create a footprint first, and then use that footprint on the PCB. To use it, go to Footprint Editor / File / Create Footprint / 2D Barcode QRCCode.

1 Like

About paths:
The one in kicad’s installation folder (in your case C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\share\kicad\scripting\plugins) is for scripts that come with kicad. The one in user directory that gets opened from “Open Plugin Directory” menu is for your own scripts. Kicad scans both directories for footprint wizards and plugins but you shouldn’t touch the system ones.

1 Like

Thank you both!

I was able to generate the QR code using the footprint generator script. Thanks paulvdh!

The two files paths now make sense. Thanks qu1ck!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.