HELP! Libraries are not recognized (schematic symbols)

MacOS.

I have kicad on several machines. I tried, once to put my libraries and projects in a dropbox folder where they may be shared. KiCAD works fine off my “main” machine, but on my travel machine, i get an error that the libraries are not there.

Attached is a screenshot of one of the error dialogs. It presents 100s of identical ones, one for each library file. Yet, in the second attachment, you will see that they are all there - in the local users/me/library/applications_support/kicad/library folder. As they ought to be. They are ALSO, just in case, in the alternate path i set to my KiCAD dropbox.

No matter what i do, i get an error that the file is not where it is. And it is there, as you can see.

WTF do I do? TIA,

OK, i also cannot seem to attach the screenshots. Sigh. Trust me - the files are in the path i noted above, yet KiCAD says they are not. Instructions for adding libraries are pretty un-helpful. All i want is 1) where do i get them? 2) how do i download them? and 3) where do I place the resulting files? Cant find that.
-Grant

See the list of the Frequently Asked Questions: (Start Here) Frequently Asked Questions. There are some articles about the library system.

IIRC there have been problems with shared files. But it’s also possible that you just haven’t set up KiCad correctly. After reading the FAQ articles you will know if that was the problem.

I read the part of .lib. It does not help me one little but. Basically it says “use the add symbol library dialog to add the file”. 1) how? 2) from where and c) why does any of this matter since they are precisely where KiCad tells me it wants to see them already? Folks, this is not intuitive and i suspect someone knows what the common bugs are.

OK, i fixed it- so for those others who dont even want to know too much, here’s the skinny. Unless you change the default path – and that appears to be buggy, it goes in /library/application support/KiCAD/… Note what i typed root of hard drive/Library; NOT /users/you/library/blah blah

This is highly non standard. I’m sure there’s a reason for it, but I can’t think of one except to allow libraries to be shared on a multi-user system. Who does that? Its not 1972.

To the community helpers - I typed explicitly my path, which is NOT what KiCAD expects, and i got suggestions without apparently even reading what I wrote. Disappointing.

I suggest these basic be in help and the FAQ. They are basic blocking and tackling. Rene’s existing FAQ is actually very useful, but not for this problem.

I’d still like to have one place that i can keep shared and custom libraries where i can get at them from any machine I can connect to dropbox (or one’s favorite cloud storage facility – icloud, google drive, etc.) Right now i have that as the alternate, with the files there,but no joy. brute force however, worked.

G