Help choosing a THT component for standard headphones

Hi!

I’m building a device now together with an mp3 module model dfr0768 pro. I am interested in putting a connector for headphones so that the output can be heard through headphones. I am interested in a component that allows connection to the simplest and most common headphones on the market (I am attaching a photo).
I would be happy if you could recommend such a component to me, with an emphasis on a component for mounting through a hole and that has a footprint and a symbol available.
I looked for one on the internet but got a bit confused by the many types I saw…

You probably want to shop for a 3.5 mm stereo socket, PCB mount like this:

3_5mm-stereo-socket

They are quite cheap from eBay or AliExpress. Because there are so many models with different dimensions, it’s best to buy it first, then measure it to make the footprint. There should be a standard symbol for stereo socket in the library.

BTW if you look carefully there are 4 plastic studs at the bottom of the body near the front. These help to position the socket on the PCB and increase mechanical stability so you must create drill holes in the PCB to match.

1 Like

If you intend using the socket often, a panel mounting socket may be more robust (same connections as Retiredfeline’s example but joins to PCB with wires and anchors to case rather than PCB).
ksnip_20230119-210901

1 Like

I am new to the field and apologize for the basic question, but how should the connections be for this type of pins with holes? Do I need to solder the legs and also solder the wires to the holes in the pins?
To this day I have only gotten used to pins without holes

The stereo socket is mounted on a right size hole on wall of your gadget container. You thread one end of each wire through the hole in the tag and solder it. The other end of the wires goes into solder pads with holes on the PCB.

1 Like

Officially, you fit the wire through the hole to ease the task of soldering.

This was just a picture from the internet. Pins often do not have holes, it depends on your supplier.

Here is a different brand… no holes and more pins.
ksnip_20230119-213837

Google “3.5 mm stereo socket” for dozens of different cases all doing the same job.

So if I understood correctly, the pins in the picture are not at all seated and soldered on the pcb itself, but the entire connector structure is somewhere in my system (the sides of the product’s shell, for example) and its pins are soldered to the wires and only the wires themselves are soldered to the pcb?
I would appreciate it if you could confirm if I understood correctly…

I find many types in stores with many different numbers of pins, but I do not understand what the purpose of each pin is and where it should be connected in the design (ground, vcc, right left…). I can’t find so many explanations about it and from the datasheet it is incomprehensible.
You brought a picture of 5 pins and earlier he attached a picture of 3 pins…)
Can you explain to me how to know where each pin should be connected?

If you mean jmk’s first picture, yes, it’s connected by wires to the PCB.

However his second picture shows a couple of hybrid sockets that can be both soldered to the PCB and attached to the enclosure. The dimensions of the PCB and enclosure are carefully designed so that the socket forms part of the mechanical mounting of the PCB. Obviously the calculations have to be correctly made.

1 Like

For headphone you show, you just want a 3 connector socket, which is Tip/Ring/Sleeve. The 5 connector version is wheh there is an internal speaker to be cut off when a headphone is plugged in. Or it could be one of those with multiple rings used by mobile phones for a hands-free microphone.

See here: Phone connector (audio) - Wikipedia

1 Like

Thank you! You helped me a lot

Sorry, again, this was just a picture I found to explain that different manufacturers have different pins. I would have to see the product to understand why there are 5 pins.

Probably there are connects/disconnects for each stereo channel. The second image also seems to be able to connect either to the PCB or the panel or both.

1 Like

Should be just ground, left and right channel amplifier outputs. Never connect Vcc to a headphone line unless you want smoke coming out near your ears. :wink: They don’t need DC power.

Ground is the sleeve, I forget whether left is tip or ring. Anyway look it up. It’s the sort of thing not worth memorising, waste of brain cells.

Left is tip, ring right, sleeve ground.

Then there is two versions of the kind with two rings, where the first or second ring can be a microhone input, used for example on computers and mobile phones, or a composite video output on old video camcorders.

Is there any reason why I should not use a component with 4 or 5 pins if I am not interested in using a microphone? I find a footprint for it more easily
I’m still not talented enough to make a footprint for such a thing myself

I would avoid the microphone version (two rings, probably 4 pins but you will have to check the datasheet; sometimes there can be double ground pins and/or extra pin for mechanical stability) if not necessary, as it has an extra contact inside; another part that can wear and cause problems.

These small plugs and jacks seem to be a little sensitive by nature, and the simpler they are, the better.
(There is a reason why the original plug, mostly used in professional and semi-pro audio, was 1/4" / 6,35mm… Much more mechanically stable and reliable.)

Can one of these fit a headset like mine (photo in the first post)?
It looks like the footprint will be relatively simple for me

Looking at the pictured schematic, they might be mono with a build-in switch. If you want stereo, you need something else.

The schematic symbol should kinda look like one of these:
grafik

Not like

grafik

1 Like

And what about this model? They are so cheap but there is no information on them in order to build the footprint :roll_eyes:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32871877936.html?spm=a2g0n.detail.1000014.8.4c332b73kAsaxt&gps-id=platformRecommendH5&scm=1007.18499.315613.0&scm_id=1007.18499.315613.0&scm-url=1007.18499.315613.0&pvid=db1e6afa-9e8b-4102-af76-58766d9fdb78&_t=gps-id:platformRecommendH5,scm-url:1007.18499.315613.0,pvid:db1e6afa-9e8b-4102-af76-58766d9fdb78,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238111%231996&pdp_npi=2%40dis!ILS!4.93!0.34!!!!!%402103239f16741349546404252ed135!65526338450!rec

That is why

This comment was made way up at the top of this thread. :slightly_smiling_face: