Help adding Terminal Blocks to KiCad 5.1.5

Hello, I am running through the KiCad class on Udemy and we are placing a part from the Terminal Block Library. I don’t see that library in the list. I do find the Terminal Block at:

https://kicad.github.io/footprints/TerminalBlock_Phoenix

I have downloaded the zip file and uncompressed it. I see a few .mod files. Are these symbol files or footprint files and how can I put them in a Terminal Block Library?

Thank you,
Joe

If I follow your link to github, the fist thing I see is:

which is full of “footprint” Apparently 114 of them grin

But why bother to go to github?
“Terminal_Phoenix” is a standard KiCad Footprint library.
Have you installed the default libraries together with KiCad? On some systems it is a different package and has to be installed separately.

Also: If it’s just a course then the actual part does not matter much, just learning the workflow is the main goal. You may even opt to start with a (preferably working) but completely different schematic (on paper) and use the parts which fit your schematic, instead of the schematic that udemy proposes. This lets you do 2 things at once. You learn KiCad from the Udemy coarse, and you have a nice PCB design from a circuit you actually want to use. It also encourages you to look deeper into KiCad’s vast libraries to find the schematic symbols and footprints you need, and if the course is any good, you will also learn to make your own schematic symbols and footprints.

Plus: why is this lib not already in your system? It is shipped with KiCad 5. My guess is you did not install libs. My guess: I installed KiCad 5 (under Linux) but there are no libraries. (The default option for sym lib table setup is disabled) Or I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

Plus this Tutorial: Introduction to PCB design with KiCad version 5.1 (Getting Started)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.