Having a "positive" B.mask

I am making an RF board and wants essentially no solder mask on the board. However, in a few positions, I want small solder mask where I solder components. This topic has been up for discussion before here:

and here:

However, no satisfactory solution was found. I would think that with the new custom rules introduces in KiCAD 6 it should be possible to do this. However, I have not managed. What I did was to add a zone that fills the whole B.Mask layer. That works well to completely remove the mask. Now, I need that zone to not fill in a few places. How to do this? I have tries several methods, but none successful. These are some attempts that do not work:

(rule "b.mask keepout"
   (constraint disallow zone)
   (condition "A.intersectsArea('xx')")
)

(rule "b.mask keepout"
   (constraint physical_clearance (min 0mm))
   (condition "A.intersectsArea('xx')")
)

Where “xx” is a rule area, also on B.Mask.

Thanks for any input!

Select the board-wide B.Mask zone. Right click and select Zones > Add a Zone Cutout.

The cutout must be manually shaped; there’s no rule-based automation for it. But it’s better than nothing.

Thanks you. This is a workable solution for me in this particular instance since I only have a few places I need it. However, it is planned for adding rule execution to these layers also in the future? It would be very useful for RF board designs in particular.

It’s on the wishlist, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s “planned” yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.