Have any user of Kicad already created a symbol for TA7358

This a SIL IC used in FM radios, and I’m capturing some schematics wich use it and would like to know if this component already has been created for Kicad.

Thanks

A search gets a gEDA symbol but AFAIK there is no converter from gEDA .sym format to KiCad .kicad_sym format, only from. Seems there was some discussion about a converter but I can’t find any follow up.

http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/jose_roberto_colombo/symbols/TA7358.sym

It’s only a 9-pin SIP IC, so should be quite fast to create your own. The circuit on this page might help you set the pin types, probably Power Input for GND and VCC and Passive for the others will work.

Good luck, and submit your symbol if you want your work to help others, though there probably isn’t much demand for this chip now.

Indeed. Creating a symbol for an IC like this is less ten 10 minutes of work after a learning curve. About half of the learning will be about the library management itself. But both creating / modifying schematic symbols and library management are important parts of KiCad.

I’ll go along with the other Retired one and Paul.

If you don’t have Personal Libraries yet, follow this link:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-7-beginners-guide-to-personal-symbol-and-footprint-libraries/38738/1
You should have a few in half an hour, one hour tops.

If you do have Personal Libraries, the easiest way to start is to modify an existing symbol.

The LTC6902 in the Kicad Timer Library is a good choice.
Find and highlight that symbol, right click, select “save as”. In the newly opened window, scroll to, and highlight a personal library, change the name to TA7358 and save.

Open your personal library and this symbol. Delete one pin and rename the others. perhaps move some of the pins to different locations around the rectangle.

Now you have a symbol you can use on any project.

For the footprint, there is a SIP 9 in the Package_SIP library. If you are not happy with the size and shape of the pads, move this footprint into a Personal Footprint Library and modify the pads to suit yourself.

There is also a Footprint Wizard which can be used to generate various regular footprints, including DIP and SIP ones. You can tweak the parameters to ones you prefer. Here it is with 1 row and 9 pins specified.

Being mischievious, I wondered what would happen if I specified 3 rows. It said the max was 2. How boring. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. I know, this chip is popular as a economy replacement for other Gilbert Cell ICs like the NE602/612 in ham radio projects.

Will try and if sucessful I’ll search here how to share my results.

Thank you very much indeed for the directions!

2 Likes