HackSpace (& The MagPi): Getting started with KiCad

The KiCad project files are available via the Download resources link there.

2 Likes

Kudos to you for continuing to follow and post these articles.

2 Likes

It looks like the series continues in issue 73.

It would be nice if this series had a Creative Commons license so the entire set could be collected into a single PDF and linked to from the KiCad docs. Also, the CC license would allow editing so the tutorial could be updated for 8.0.

I had a short peek at the colophon of issue 70, and it states:

Except where otherwise noted, content in this magazine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC- SA 3.0). ISSN: 2515-5148

I also had a short peek around the text of the article and did not see a (clear) exception for it.

You can also start editing :slight_smile: On page 55 (of HS70) there is a section about converting EasyEDA symbols and footprints to KiCad, and KiCad V7.99 already has:

1 Like

Excellent news! Thanks for digging that out.

For the bigger picture, I think it is both simpler and more useful to just short circuit that magazine and the KiCad website together.

I do think they deserve a listing on:

and the simplest way to do that is to use the contact form on:

But that contact form requires an E-mail address, and I have no intention of filling in my personal e-mail address in such a form, so I will leave that to someone else.

I created a Github repo for the HackSpace KiCad tutorials. A single document containing the collection of tutorials can be read here. Unfortunately, given the formatting for a magazine layout, it doesn’t appear that there’s an easy way to convert the tutorials into a form like Markdown that’s easy to edit.

1 Like

I agree - I hate having to provide a verifiable email just to register but … that’s what disposable email addresses are for. Just search for 5 or 10 minute email addresses which provides a unique one time email that lasts only a few minutes. Just sufficient time to register and confirm the email and access the content without having to reveal your real email.

audioXpress also had an introduction:

1 Like

I’ve updated the compilation of HackSpace KiCad tutorials with issue #73.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the compilation of KiCad tutorials with the new additions from HackSpace issue #74 and the MagPi Magazine issue #137.

1 Like

I’ve updated the compilation of KiCad tutorials with the new additions from HackSpace issue #75 and the MagPi Magazine issue #138.

3 Likes

I’ve updated the compilation of KiCad tutorials with the new addition from HackSpace issue #76 (no new KiCad tutorial in the MagPi Magazine issue #139).

1 Like
1 Like