GUI Rendering issue with 4k Screen - Windows

Hello,

I’m fairly new to KiCad, doing a lot of learning.

One issue I can’t seem to work out is to get the GUI to render ‘correctly’ on my display. It’s an issue I also have the Arduino IDE and other apps, but it’s making getting familiar to the tool hard as I can’t see what I’m doing!

I assume this is something to do with wxWisgets or whatever the underlying UI framework is. Is there work to look at this or some known workaround? I’ve taken to running it inside a virtual machine and then RDC’ing into that where I can use the Remote Desktop Client window zoom feature.

I’ve not come here to demand features! in fact I’m more than happy to roll my sleeves up and get stuck in (if the dev stack is not a fit with my background different I could at least test). I’m pulling the source now to review, but if someone has any ideas/feedback it would be great to get some steering on the topic.

I can’t be of much practical help because I don’t do windows. :wink: ‘Correctly’ isn’t a lot to go on though. Total garbage? Can we get a screen shot?

I have KiCad 4.0.6, Windows 7 64bit, 4k monitor and Radeon Fury F9. I see some occasional display glitches, nothing major. I don’t think there is a generic problem with the UI framework. I’ve seen some graphic problems when switching between default and OpenGl canvas.

Display issues often turn out to be a graphic driver problem. Intel graphics in particular are well known for causing problems.

Hi all to those who replied.

I think I may have found a workaround for the issue. I’ll test it out later today and if it proves effective I’ll put up some screenshots showing before & after with instructions and link to the source articles. It’s a bit low level and hacky but so far looks exactly what I am after.

I have NVidea drivers. I’ve mentioned this to some vendors I pay for their software and they have acknowledged there is some issue with some rendering element causing the scaling not to work.

Anyhow, I’ll post back later (I’m in UK) to let you all know how it’s worked out.

Thanks to all who responded.