Grouping PCB Components and Traces

I am (finally) getting a chance to look at release 6 of KiCAD. Happy to see a “Drag with traces”–very useful with todays large Pin count components.

I did not see a way to subgroup PCB elements and their traces within a layout. I often have repetitious constructs and would like to make only one-then replicate several and move/spin them around for best location. As things progress this becomes messy and risky if I need to reselect each component as I move groups around seeking best location.

Is there such a feature on Rel 6.0?

Thanks
Fritz

Box Selection, then Copy / paste, move, rotate.
Is that suitable?

For repetitive layout, check out the Replicate Layout action plugin.
It uses a design with Hierarchical sheets to start from, then you do the layout for one of the sheets, and the plugin replicates the layout to the other instances of that hierarchical sheet, starting from a “reference footprint” of each of the instances. It can be a very big time saver. It can also handle rotation and Front/ Back. One of it’s biggest strengths is that if you make a modification to your schematic later, then it can also easily apply those changes by running the plugin again.

I’m not really sure about it’s status though. This plugin broke with KiCad V6. I read there is some version that has been fixed already though, but I’m not entirely sure.

A somewhat similar, but manual method is to work with groups.
First you make a selection, then you right click and choose: Grouping / Group from the popup menu.
As long as you keep the group intact then the relative position of all elements in the group will keep the same. You can also make copies of the group and flip it to the other side.

If you want to use this to replicate the layout of some part of your schematic then you want other parts on the replicated group. The easiest method is probably to only put track segments in the group (Use the filters in the lower right corner) and then snap pads of footprints to the endpoints of tracks in the replicated group.

I do not consider it “fixed” until it shows up in the Plugin and Content Manager
I saw an added PCM in the github link eelik posted, so I checked, and the Replicate Layouit is now in the the PCM.

Apparently that happened:

1 Like

Jane—I probably was not being very explicit-- here are some posts I did on this a year or so back–
thanks
Fritz

https://forum.kicad.info/t/grouped-components/26317/19

Paul
my bad–I had not found the group command when I posted. I think coupled with the “paste special” on the schematic this gives me what I need. As long as I can isolate groupings I can design boards much faster so this is great!

I have a month of design ahead so it will be great chance to upgrade my knowledge to 6.0

cheers and thanks
Fritz

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.