Ground symbols, what is what

Your reply should be added to the FAQ of this forum :+1:

1 Like

The reply is very well thought out and very nicely formatted.

I have however a few comments about some details

In KiCad, all ground symbols are designated as “Power Output” terminals.

The power symbols are invisible power input pins! This makes them a global label. In addition to this ERC will then check if another pin on the same net is a power output. (If no power output is on the same net you get the error “pin connected but no pin to drive it”)

They also have a special power flag (note the reference “#PWR” in each of them). This creates a global label for your circuit with the name of the ground.

This is also not quite right. The # at the beginning of the reference ensures that this symbol is not added to the bom or connected with a footprint.

I am not sure if the reference must be PWR. My guess is it can be anything really.

There is however a “this is a power symbol” flag in the symbol definition. If i remember correctly then this flag is used to identify libraries that should appear in the “add power symbol” dialog.

Sadly i can not add a comment to this answer on stackexchange as i do not have enough reputation. @Seth_h could you look into these comments and fix your post over at stackexchange? (I will then happily link it from the FAQ index thread)

1 Like

Thanks Rene! Good catches, all.

Exactly. The “P” of the last item stands for Power

DEF 5V #PWR 0 0 Y Y 1 F P -> Power symbol

DEF R R 0 0 N Y 1 F N -> Other than power

Nearly. It is not to identify libraries but symbols. If the library has mixed power and “normal” symbols, the add power symbol dialog will show only the power symbols no matter which library they belong to.

2 Likes

Something else: The ? is not part of the reference. It is only rendered by the symbol editor (If you edit the field you will not see the “?”)

That should just be replaced by the numerical value when annotating.

The way you write it might be interpreted that one needs to enter a ? at the end of the reference when creating a power symbol. This is not the case. (There was recently a post over on reddit where a user was confused with this.)

Ah, fair. Edited. Holler if there’s anything else you catch.

Linked your stackexchange answer in all respective FAQ articles that are related.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.