Ground plane filling every space (orphans) [solved]

Is there any way to create a ground plane that fills every space possible, even if its not connected to ground. In eagle there was an option called “Orphans” when creating a ground plane. Is there any similar option in KiCad?

Thanks

1 Like

Isolated islands do not make a ground plain. In fact they can contribute to EMI issues.

1 Like

If you etch the board yourself, they are use-full to save on etching fluid.
(That’s the only reason why you should ever use it)
But even then it would be better to connect them to ground via another layer.

1 Like

Is there any way to create a ground plane that fills every space possible, even if its not connected to ground

Yes, it is possible. Add zone and select “no net”

2 Likes

how to select no net?

When creating a zone, the following window pops up.
In it select the entry “no net” in the net definition.
The dialog will warn you that you have chosen the no

The dialog will warn you that you have chosen the “not connected” option. This will create insulated copper islands.
Confirm your selection by pressing yes.
Make your zone as you normally would.

1 Like

After I accept it says DRC error: this start point is inside or too close
an other layer.

Jordi Altayó

Ok i think we will need a bit more information there.
Can you post a screenshot of the board before you add the zone and one of the error message?
(Maybe make two posts in this topic. Because new users can only post one picture per post.)

This is my layout. I want to fill the space under the IC (U1 U3) because I make my boards using a CNC. And if those areas are empty it takes a lot of time (i dont have the appropiate tool for big areas). After my board is made I plan to remove manually those areas.

I would create a zone with approximately this outline:
And give it a higher priority than the ground zone.
Repeat the same under U1 and U5 and it should be done.

By the way if you move c12 towards left you should be able to connect it to gnd. (put the two traces that are in the way at the moment between its pads like you did with c2.)
Also you want this capacitors to have a short distance between the + and gnd pin of the ic to which they are connected. (they generate the short signal return path for switching currents inside of the ic.)

More detail about the capacitors around (fast switching) integrated circuits:

1 Like

how to select no net?

Hi,

this question means you have not even try to create a new “no net” zone. Please, help anyone trying to help you.
Rene_Poschl has shown you the first choice is the option.

After I accept it says DRC error: this start point is inside or too close
an other layer.

You can make a zone inside or overlapping another zone. Just give the zones different priority levels. Zone settins, 3rd column.

Regards,
Pedro.

I was bored. Ok i’m lying i should do something boring instead of this :wink:
Here more details on why the capacitors connection to the gnd and vdd pin matter.
(Very simplified. The exact shape of the current path depends on a lot of things. But as a first approximation this should be ok.)

The datasheet tells you only to keep the connection to vdd short because they assume you have a ground plane on another layer. This way the gnd connection would always be the shortest possible.

1 Like

There is a screenshot of the error I get. If you whats closely you can see the pointer where I tried to start the Fill Zone.
I don’t know how to set the priority of the layer

I played around a bit.
You don’t need to set the priority at all. (Or at least in my kicad version i don’t need to.)
I copied my test zone (selected it with a left-click. After that i duplicated it via crtl+d. And placed the copy at the same space as the original zone.)
After that i edited one of the zones properties and selected no net.

If this does not work. Can you give us your kicad version. And the operating system you are using?

But because you might need it later on anyways: Here the info on how to set the priority level. Higher numbers mean higher priority.

1 Like

I had withdrawn that post , it takes 24 hrs to get deleted. I got the no net thing and even implemented soon. Thanks for your concern anyway.

I’m very sorry arvimg. I thought I was answering the one who asked the question the first time. I thought he was asking for help and then didn’t pay attention.

So my apologies for both of you.

1 Like

Thanks, it works now!

Instead of adding isolated zones you could easily just move a few tracks and get your ground plane to flood significantly more of the unflooded areas.

1 Like

We must be twins of sorts … :heart_eyes: :nerd:

1 Like