Grid in symbol editor

Hello!

Is there a wat to change the grid i the symbol editor? From the following picture, I guess you will find at once what I want to do, I would need to set the grid to about 1/10 of what it is in order to connect the anodes to the diodes.
ESD

Thanks for any hint!

Pascal

yes, just right-click and goto the grid context menu.
As long as the connections are on a 100mils grid it will be fine

1 Like

Hello!

Thanks, it works fine!
By the way, why are the units in mils?
And why is there any unit? There should be one abstract grid, whatever it is,
to ensure the connections, but I fail to understand why there are physical units.

Pascal

Hold over. We encourage people on a regular basis to forget about the units.

1 Like

The grid in Eeschema is a bit of a legacy thing.
I usually think of it as an abstract grid which coincidentally has the suffix “mil” attached to it. I’ve never checked on a printout if those units are anywhere near that. I live in Europe and hardly know hat a mil is anyways.

An important thing to know about grid for Eeschema, is that there is no snap function whatsoever, and the endpoints of wires have to line up perfectly with the attachment points of pins to make a connection.

In practice it means that you can get yourself into trouble real easy if you use anything but the default grid setting. Keep the grid on “50” and also make sure that on any symbol you design the attachment points of the pins are also on this grid.

For internal graphics in a schematic symbol it’s ok to use another grid. You can also place items off grid by holding both [Shift + Ctrl].

But always verify that the attachment points of pins are on a “50” grid.

If the unit will be abstract then A4 sheet name would become illegel :slight_smile:

Hello!

If the unit will be abstract then A4 sheet name would become illegel

Absolutely not! A4 defines the printing format, and therefore you can have an arbitrary unit,
let’s call it g for grid, which defines the size of the logical grid (which allows to make connections).

Pascal

To be able to show your schematic together with A4 frame defined with real units (just to be A4) you have to specify what are the real value of g.
So I see two possibilities:

• specify g from the beginning,
  • specify g just before printing.

The picture small elements sises easy seen by typical human don’t vary a lot. It is easier to keep track of it if g is defined from beginning then if you can do as distributed schematic as you wont and then tell program to match it to A4.

If the schematic sheet will be the infinite area (and it would be good to never print it at real paper) then I fully agree - units are not important.

1 Like

Hello!

specify g just before printing.

Exactly! It happened many times that I had to make a lot of changes just to be allowed to print. Example: the schematic density increases, and in the current implementation, it’s not easy t reshape the schematic. Example: you want to move a chip in order to open some space? It will not be a trivial move and the schematic will become messy. I just moved a chip in my current design:

So I think that if the grid could be variable and changeable with the mouse, then you could zoom in / out inside of the A4 frame or more generally your printer frame (without changing the frame itself).

Pascal

Forget about what? I can’t remember. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.