Grid definitions in eeschema.json

Are grid definitions in eeschema.json in KiCad v6 essentially hardcoded (apart from the user grid)?

I’d like to manually edit grid list in eeschema.json and use it in eeschema but, when I do that, it seems KiCad doesn’t pick them up and, on closing, overwrites them with default values.

Original content:
"sizes": [ "100 mil", "50 mil", "25 mil", "10 mil", "5 mil", "2 mil", "1 mil" ],

My changes:
"sizes": [ "10.0 mm", "5.0 mm", "2.0 mm", "1.0 mm", "0.5 mm", "0.2 mm", "0.1 mm" ],

Content after modifying schematic and closing KiCad:
"sizes": [ "100 mil", "50 mil", "25 mil", "10 mil", "5 mil", "2 mil", "1 mil" ],

The schematic editor does not currently support customizable grid sizes.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

So for now, I suppose, the workaround is to use user grid by entering values in the “Grid Settings” dialog

Yes. But, keep in mind: the reason we don’t allow people to customize the grid in Eeschema is because it’s dangerous to design on a grid other than 100 or 50 mils. If wires don’t line up with pins exactly, connections won’t be made.

1 Like

Yes, I understand the reasoning.
I my case I have my own libraries so that’s not an issue.
It would be great to be able to define user grids in the future though.

While *.kicad_sch files actually use mm (with a resolution of 0.0001 mm or 100 nm), I believe that currently, you probably would have less surprises if you still use multiples of 1 mil (i. e. set 1 mm = 40 mil instead of 39.37 mil). The schematic would then be 1.6% larger though but could be printed scaled at about 98.425% to get the metric sizes. Above grid sizes would then be 400 mil, 200 mil, 80 mil, 40 mil, 20 mil, 8 mil, 4 mil. (Or just set 1mm = 50 mil and scale by about 78.74%.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.