well I tried to upgrade to version 5.9 and it appears it is for tumbleweed not 15.2 so need to see if I am not using kicad right…
Recently I added digikey & partner libraries which took several attempts. where kicad libraries are in /user/ folder as read only, I had to put digikey in a separate partition in my user space. Libraries are done global as I don’t want to have to reinvent library associations for each project.
I then tried to follow manual for create new symbol and found it didn’t really sat gow to do it, just how it is structured. Next I tried to follow create new library from main screen but the new library feature [first icon on left below menu was not the stated New Library but was create new project]. So went looking around and finally found Manage symbol and Manage footprint libraries under preferences.
under manage symbol libraries there are rwo read only library refernces with a blank list above. only option that seemed right was create new blank line and fill in info. So i gave it a name Pwr_symbols and went to specify where to build it. This of course failed as you need to set an existing folder with .lib files already in it. So only option is select cancel because there is no create folder or lib feature and upon click of cancel I get segmentation fault and the kicad program crashes.
So next I tried to copy a symbol for modification from a system read only file, using export and again it crashes. Then I tried editing a symbol by choosing a close symbol and making a copy of it. This seamed promising but I noted that while I can make one pin power (+) as output, there is no option for defining a ground pin so it is left passive. Obviously, I can’t save the library if it is read only so again I choose cancel and get the dreaded segmentation fault & crash.
I have the desired component look as a bitmap image but based on the short attempts working with libraries that failed I am thinking why waste my time if i can’t create or edit libraries.
Really what are my choices, but to go back to manual methods made from output of the working parts of kicad. I can print the designs 1:1 as image. hand modify the image file, then print to transparency (PMT) and convert to negative for processing. The option of making a gerber file and sending it out for production was my original goals. Gerber worked fine with on board battery in a past project. Didn’t work for a project using an AC adapter and now not working for use with Battery Pack, and Solar. Someone recently said kicad was targeted at PCB creation not systems. To me this makes no sense. Where a system employs PCB’s and other integral parts to make up the system, each PCB needs to be able to be powered (some internal some external) and communicate with outside influence which can be switches, sensors, other PCB’s.
A few short comings are delaying 4 major projects, Solar-Electric EV Tricycle, Solar-Electric EV Motorhome, Smart coach controller, and Solar-Wind house management controller. For those who are wondering what I am up to. 12 PCB;s at last count.