Grab, rotate doesn't keep wires connected

I I’ve not use KiCAD for a while and I my searches in the web seem to indicate that in eeschema g,r should grab a symbol and rotate keeping the wires connected.

But, it does not appear to do so.

Application: Eeschema
Version: 5.1.10-88a1d61d58~88~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-73-lowlatency x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.68.0
Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

g for grab and then move the mouse cursor preserves the connections, but when you rotate too, KiCad indeed does not preserve connections to the outside. So I can at least confirm behavior is the same for me in V5.1.10.

I was not sure if this was expected behavior, as rotating schematic symbols and preserving connections is likely to become a mess and not very useful. Therefore I also tried it in V5.99 and an attempt to fix it has been made.
The result however is… less then optimal. :slight_smile:

When a schematic symbol is grabbed and then rotated 90 degrees, the wrong coordinates are used. The dragged and rotated connector on the left gets disconnected from it’s wires, and with the TVS diode on the right the polarity is swapped, which results in a short.

I reported this on Gitlab:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.