Ghost ratsnets showing in PCBNew

Hello!

I have a problem with ratsnets showing up between a trace and nothing, and sometimes netween nothing and nothing. See picture.
NB: the bottom left ratsnest is a normal one, between connected components. I should also add that there are no hidden layers that could explain this, and the big yellow circle is a 10 ~ 11 mm hole in the PCB. The second odd ratsnet is therefore between nothing on the PCB and nothing outside of the PCB.
I tried to redraw with the B command. It doesn’t help.

GhostRatsnets

Any hint?

Pascal

Please report this as a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad

It is helpful to include full version information, a procedure for reproducing or, even better, a board that shows the issue.

Hello Seth!

I agree that this should be reported. However, reporting a bug implies describing exactly how it happens. I can of course give information about the software version. But this is the first time I experience it, and it happens only on this particular board that I cannot disclose.
The version is kicad-r12229.e850a482d-x86_64
One of the ghost ratsnets disappeared for some reason, but the shortest one remains.

Pascal

Full version information is from Help->about KiCad->copy version information. Even incomplete reports are helpful as someone else may be able to recreate.

As an aside, we work with many companies that have proprietary designs that are not for public release. If you like, we can arrange to have private communications that demonstrate the bug.

Is it similar to this? https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1811010

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. Apparently not the same. They use version 6 something and the bug is likely to be fixed (fix committed).
I just ran into another problem by chance or bad luck, whatever.
Null%20trace

I made a wrong move and got the traces in outline mode. And the ratsnets seems to connect the trace to something that might be a single point. The funny thing is that it doesn’t show when the traces are in normal mode. So if I erase this point, the ratsnets will probably disappear. But I would like first to check if the piece of trace is invisible in normal mode.

Ok, I just noticed that K switches between normal and outline mode. In normal mode, the trace disappears, and in outline mode it shows up as a small circle. This might be a display bug.

Cross

By the way, when I was looking for the wrong move I have made, I got this circled cross, but I don’t know how. Can anybody tell me what it is? I’m quite sure it wasn’t there when I started.

Pascal

Hello again!
The bug tracking system asks me to create an account. Basically these days, you need an account whatever you do on the net. Couldn’t it be done with the same account I have here? I’ll report it here:

I found a way to create a ghost ratsnet, Here it is:

1. On an existing trace, start a route (with x command), that is not connected to another point.

DeadEnd

1. Leave route mode (with escape). Select the new trace and edit it.

Point

Set the start point and end point to the exact same coordinates. It should leave something like this, which makes sens because it’s a single point.

DeadPoint

1. Now reopen the editing window, and change x by adding 1 nm

Shift

1. When clicking OK, you’re done, there is a ghost wire.

Ghost

1. Now if you press K to have the traces in outline mode, you can see that the point is back.

Rounds

Sorry I should have taken a bigger trace width, but at least the end of the ratsnet is visible.

Pascal

There are many reasons to have an account on the bug tracker. Bug reports do not go on the user forum as most devs aren’t here and we can’t associate it with code or the other reports. It makes it more difficult for us to find/fix the issue. Please reconsider this choice.

On linux with the latest self-compiled code I can see the stub track in both outline and filled visual modes.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.