Getting Started Tutorial

Is there a more up-to-date tutorial than the one linked to on the getting started page? I am finding that the descriptions and workflow do not match what the latest downloaded version offers. It is particularly confusing around the management of symbol and footprint libraries and I have been completely unable to customize symbols following the tutorial and had to completely change the workflow to successfully create one from scratch.

Jan

You tube has many videos. Watch out which version of KiCAD the video is for.

The most up-to-date tutorials are in the FAQ section of this forum. It’s not a “getting started” guide, but it has many subject specific threads.

Thanks Ron. I was hoping for something written down rather than video. Just the way I learn I guess.

Jan

Thanks Paul. I am now realizing that and I think I have solved the issue I was struggling with - how to create a new symbol based on an existing one in a different library. The key is that many symbols - the ones listed in italics - are in fact aliases so copy and paste gets you dozens of new symbols instead of the one you expected. Deleting the aliases (under the aliases tab in the properties table) before copy and paste gets the expected result of a single symbol copied from one library to another. The copy can then be modified with symbol editor.

Jan

The issue with this workflow is you risk loosing your aliases in the library that you are copying from. It is better to copy the symbol to a new folder and then removing the aliases from the copy.

Thanks. What you suggest about copy before edit makes sense because it is never quite clear to me when and what gets backed up automatically where.Much more comfortable to do things manually and in a logical and safe sequence.

Jan

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.