Getting Started Toggle Switch Incorrect Dimensions

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

I’m going through “Getting Started” in the KiCad Docs, and while walking through the footprint creation part, which creates a footprint for the “M2011S3A1W03” SPST switch, I think I found an error in the docs. It says in the “Creating new footprints” section, that “The switch pins are 1.17 mm x 0.8 mm”. However, page 62 of the datasheet for the switch (https://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MtogglesBushing.pdf),
it seems that the pins are actually 2.0 mm x 0.8 mm. I am a novice at reading mechanical docs, and would love to have a second set of eyes on this! If there’s an error in the docs, it might be confusing for other noobs like me :slight_smile:

The “M2011S3A1W03” has terminals from type 250” (6.35mm), Straight PC. This is defined by the “03” on the end of the manufacturer number code.
You will find a description for the nomenclature on page A54/A55 of the datasheet.

A picture for this terminal is shown on page A61 of the datasheet (section “Terminals” picture for type “03”), and it confirms the 1.17x0.8mm dimension from the “getting started” tutorial.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right on all counts. Wow, I really didn’t know what I was looking at. Thank you very much for the reply!

1 Like

Engineering, where science hits reality. :wink:

1 Like