Gerbview not showing drill information

Hello. In V4.x.x gerbview showed the drill size maps in the NPTH and PTH windows as a legend below the board.
Now the drill sizes in V5.0.2,are not shown, however when I load an earlier PCB created in V4.x.x the drill map is there.
It appears that the plot file generated by V5.0.2 does not include the
xxxPTH-drl-map.gbr or xxx-NPTH-drl_map.gbr.
It does generate a xxx-PTH-drl_map.ps and xxx-NPTH-drl_map.ps which load but are not visible in Gerbview.
Is this by design or have I missed a setting in pcbNew?
It was particularly useful for adding to a drawing pack for final drawings as a dxf.

V4.x.x
V5.0.2
I have tried all of the toolsets in Gerbview with no change.

As the drill files exist and they are loaded, try uncheck all the other gerber files.

Sometimes drill files are generated with the absolute origin while the other layers with the auxiliary axis origin.

So, zoom out to see if the drill file is present but in another quadrant.

I think the question here is about the table shown in the first screenshot not about the drill position markers.

I do not remember such a table being automatically generated even in v4 so the original gerber might be either generated with a different tool or it might have gotten manual rework. (Or there is a setting that generates such a table and i am not aware of it. The official docu might be a good start too look at.)
I doubt this has anything to do with the gerber viewer but with how the gerberrs are generated in the first place.

Duh!!!.

In PCBnew, the plot file was set to gerber but the drill file was set to Postscript. Hence the .ps format files.

I feel stupid now (again)!

Maybe it would be nice to set all the production plots to the same format, whether PS, dxf or gerber are selected.

Would have saved me some embarrassment anyway.

Thanks for your quick response - I shall go and sit in a darkened room for a while now.

But files 9 and 10 have the .drl extension, so they are supposed to be excellon drill files…

Hi @pedro, Yes they are drl files but these are excellon drill data files.That seems to give details of the D codes only. The thing I was missing is the drill map files that were being exported as drl-map.ps files (exactly what the program was being told to do) as the drill generation platform was set to postscript!
Setting it for gerber format has nearly restored my sanity.
I have been caught like this before after exporting .dxf files and then not being able to view the map files in GerbView after re-doing hole files.
Basically I only use the file to check the holes are the correct size.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.