GerbView - Export to PcbNew - Copper Layers Count

I first load 2 gerber files into GerbView. Once prepared I select File->Export to PcbNew.

In the dialog box shown below does the “Copper Layers Count:”
refer to the number of copper layers on my board (which is 4 - top/bottom/pwr/gnd) or does it refer to the number of layers included in this Exported File? Is this common sense and thus not included in the manual?

I think it is the number of copper layers.
(It clearly states copper layers in the text. Why would you suspect otherwise?)

But it is easy to test.
Just try different settings and see what happens.
(Nothing can go wrong. Worst case you need to do the export again.)

Thank you for your response. I understand this seems like a stupid question but it is not explicit nor can I find any documentation on it. Is it the number of layers included in your gerber export OR the number of copper layers total on the board. Your answer is also worded vaguely as I see it.
Whichever choice is made will reflect in the file (although Im not sure how at this point) and I would think complications in manufacturing could potentially occur.
Thanks,
Gary

I used kicad stable version 4.0.2 on fedora 23 (yes both of them are out of date but i’m not on my work pc at the moment.)
Disclaimer: I could not get it to work under my version (details of my problems below).
But maybe your version works. For that reason here a bit of explanation. This time using screenshots.

First observation:
The drop down menu determines which layers will be created in the new pcb_new file.
(Or which layers you can choose in the gerber to layer mapping phase)

What do you need to do to export the pcb_new file.
First find out how many copper layers you want/need.
(Determined by the gerbers. Choose the same number as you have copper gerber files.)

Load all gerber files you have for this design.
(At least all copper layers!)

When exporting map each gerber file to its corresponding layer.

Here the list of problems i discovered when i opened my exported pcb file: (I bet there are more.)
First: All my filled zones are lost. (The outline of the filled zone is rebuild with traces.)
Second: All pads are now vias?! (even smd pads)
Third: My non plated through holes are lost.

I hope you have more luck with this than i had. (Maybe the newest stable or the current nightly build work.)