Gerber viewer - setting up a layer manager

Is it possible to make settings for the layer manager so that I, as a user, can determine the color and position of the layer myself? So that the next time you load files, the layers are arranged in the same order as it was set in the settings.
Currently the layers are in this order:

• copper
  • mask
  • paste
  • silkscreen

I would like to set up this arrangement of layers for myself:

• silkscreen
  • paste
  • mask
  • copper

I changed the position of the layers as I like. In this form, I can immediately see the layers as they will be after the board is produced.
Unfortunately, when moving layers, the layer colors do not move and you have to adjust them anew.
Therefore, when checking a project, I have to first move the layers and then change the color. If an error occurs, I download the files again and repeat these operations.
I would really like to be able to customize the arrangement of layers and colors for the user.
Maybe someone knows how to set this up?
Thank you.

After setting your preferred colors and visibility, Click the Presets (Ctrl + Tab) and Save it
(Right- side panel…)

OOPS! You wanted Gerber-viewer… My comment is for PCB… I’ll leave the comment anyway… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

There are color settings for the Gerber viewer:

But it’s very simple. It’s 60 “graphics layers” and some colors for special items. Just over a year ago I wrote:

It would be nice if the gerber layers had the same color theme as the PCB Editor. (Or it’s own settable theme with defaults the same as the PCB editor).

over here:

You can give that topic an upvote.

I use My Color Theme ( can make themes and save them, load them…)

This function is available in the PCB editor.
I did not find such a function in Gerber Viewer.
Kicad 7.10

Using v7.0.10

video…

Thanks for the help. I saw the color adjustment, but when I move the layer, they do not move.
Can I arrange the layers the way I like?

Layer manager → select layer , right click → move layer up/down (or +/-).
The only annoying thing is that the the layer doesn’t bring the assigned color down/up when it moves;
the color is associated to the ‘level’ not to the layer.

I haven’t tried it but, try changing the layers to the desired order, then do the color theme selection

that is the correct sequence of operation to minimize the work.

Maybe there are configuration files where the arrangement of layers in Gerber View is configured?

Hello. Thanks everyone for your help. I found the answer.
In KiĐĄad 7 and 8 I found the XOR mode button in the gerber viewer, this is what I need.
Only for proper viewing you need to first open the layers, and then the holes, so that the holes are at the bottom of the list. Then the board looks like it would have looked like after manufacturing.

I discovered the same problem that in the gerber viewer the associated color to a layer does not move when changing the layer order with UP and DOWN. To me this seems to be a bug and maybe somebody could create a bug report. I’m new to KiCad and not familiar with that procedure yet.

If it is intended that the colour isn’t linked to the layer I would recommend a configurable option so that the user could decide which behaviour he/she would prefer.

1 Like