Gerber Viewer Functionality

Is there any possibility of measuring size of the footprint from Gerber files (which is generated from different software) in Gerber Viewer. Like you just select a footprint and it shows the size ?

There is a tool for measurement, the caliper gauge symbol above the select tool, mouse cursor symbol.
About just select “the footprint”, as far I know, after you convert the layout to Gerber its have no more information of grouped objects. The footprint just became a bunch of lines.

2 Likes

I don’t know if the Gerber Viewer in Kicad is the same as gerbv from the gEAD project (I can check but I’m the paragon of laziness) but in any case that gerbv has a measure tool. I don’t know if there is a Windows port of the gEDA tools if that’s what your platform is.

GerbV as used in gEDA is a different viewer from Gerbview used in KiCad.
That said, Gerber is a standarized format and there are many different viewers, with different capabilities.

KiCad’s GerbView is not the most feature rich gerber viewer on the market.
It does have basic measurement capabilities, and it works the same as in the other KiCad programs (Eeschema, Pcbnew, Footprint Editor, etc).

In the status bar at the bottom of the screen there are a bunch of numbers with labels:

If you press the space bar then dx, dy and dist are set to 0 and you can use that as a starting point for measurements. Switch between metric and Inch with the buttons on the left of the screen. image

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.