Gerber Output Problem

So here’s the problem - I am plotting my Gerber files and everything is just fine. However, none of the PCB manufacturers recognize the files as Gerber. So I downloaded a Gerber Viewer and it doesn’t recognize the files as Gerber either - however, it did recognize the drill files.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I’m using the latest version of Kicad (5.1.8)

Thanks!

Post your Gerber plot configuration here (screenshot)
Make sure you have Plot format “Gerber” set.

Your explanation is too undetailed. What does “doesn’t recognize” really mean? How did they reject them, what feedback did you get? Which manufacturers? What do the viewers do with them? Which viewers? Have you tried different projects? Can you share an example file which is rejected?

1 Like

My plot configuration looks like this:

And I have successfully have boards manufactured by several companies (PCBWay, JLCPCB, Beta Layout, etc.)

It would be interesting if you could share those gerbers that are not recognized. Are you able to see them with KiCAD’s Gerber Viewer ?

What does “doesn’t recognize” really mean? - The files are not selectable by the Gerber viewer or the manufacturers upload tool (the files are all “greyed out”). Therefore, I upload them to the manufacturer in a zip file (which is recognized and an allowed file type by the manufacturer) and they are rejected. The files go to “audit” and 15 minutes later a message is returned, “File is not recognized. Please upload Gerber 274X file type”

How did they reject them, what feedback did you get? The message is, "“File is not recognized. Please upload Gerber 274X file type”

Which manufacturers? AllPCB and PCBWay

What do the viewers do with them? The files are not selectable - they are “greyed” by the app. However the drill files are selected and do display.

Which viewers? Cuprum for Mac as well as the Gerber viewer in Kicad.

Have you tried different projects? No.

Can you share an example file which is rejected? All the Gerber files are rejected. The reply doesn’t designate.

I have also just plotted the top layer and tried to view it with Kicad’s Gerber viewer and it doesn’t display.

Generally I wouldn’t expect the viewer to be looking at anything other than file extensions. Can you show your file listing?

The files are there, but not selectable…

Here’s what it looks like using the GerberView app from Kicad.

is the bad GERBER data generation repeatable?

No matter what parameters I change, the Gerber files remain unreadable/unselectable or rejected.

can you upload them here?

Upload the Gerber files?

Which ones, just the primary copper layers?

I notice you have not ticked “Use extended X2 format” when you generate GERBER.
Gerber-X2 is really good and I would advocate this being the default.
Gerber-X1 files should still be valid but lets entertain the concept that there is a bug.

Does the DRC all pass?

Have you re-installed KiCad just in case there was an installation issue corrupting some files?

Correct. I read earlier that one potential reason the files aren’t being accepted is X2 isn’t used by the cheaper board manufacturers.

Yes, DRC passes with no errors.

I have seen that as well and I personally find that odd since X2 is backwards compatible so it should be transparent to those that accept X1 only.

That aside, try X2 as the key is to generate valid GERBER files 1st. If X2 works then aspects as to why X2 works and X1 doesn’t can be looked at. If X2 doesn’t then that is a wider local problem (see re-install)

Thanks. Just tried it. Kicad recognizes the files as Gerber (which it always has), but still doesn’t display anything.

Re-install Kicad or just pcbnew?

Are these files on your cloud drive? Are thry actually downloaded or still sitting in icloud?