Generic graphic formats in symbol editor?

Maybe I am wrong, but I think I already saw a possibility to use generic graphics for schematic symbols. Maybe that was the worksheet editor ?
Would be usefull to integrate existing bmp or vector icons into symbols for a block diagram without redrawing them with lines and circles

You can import graphics directly into a schematic with Schematic Editor / Place / Add Image but indeed, being able to make a schematic symbol with embedded graphic is a logical step forward.

KiCad-Nightly V8.0.0~rc3 has: Symbol Editor / File / Import / Graphics and it does work. Here I added an SVG logo to a standard 74HC36:

I guess that KiCad V7 has the same capability, but due to some library conflict I can not test in V7 at the moment.

Apparently it does not do bitmaps, but I guess that is mostly a feature. Embedding bitmaps into vector format file is a bit so-so. If possible it’s always better to import it as a vector format, or else convert it from bitmap to vector first, for example with KiCad’s built in “Image Converter” in the project manager menu.

Thanks, I have to update from v7 to v8 nightly.

My symbols are like desktop phones, surveillance cameras, PoE Switches all things for non pcb schematics. Several projects needs installation schematics after everybody lost the overview about physical and logical VLAN wiring. Switch fabrics are busy with terminating circulating packets.