Generic DIL packages not showing up in Eeschema component search

Hello!

I want to add a generic dual Inline package to my schematic. It used to suffice searching for “DIL14” (or whichever pin count) in Eeschema “Add component” function. Now the search shows up empty. What am I missing? My old schematics still display the generic DIL packages. I am using the “conn” library as an alternative for now.

Thank you!

Application: kicad
Version: no-vcs-found-e2505cb~60~ubuntu16.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-93-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.58.0
Curl: 7.47.0
Compiler: GCC 5.4.0 with C++ ABI 1009

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Add component adds symbols. DIL-14 is a package/footprint.

In eeschema you add the symbol for the chip you want to place and connect it via cvpcb or the lib editor or via the symbol properties/footprint browser to the DIL-14 footprint.

So for what component is this generic Dil-14 footprint used?

A while back i wrote up a summary of what a symbol or footprint is and how they are connected in kicad:

1 Like

I am working with MAX3243, a RS232 tranceiver, which comes in a SSOP 28 package. What I used to do in this situation was to add a generic DIL-28 symbol to wrok with, which readily showed up in Eeschema “add component” search a few months ago. Now this search (eg. dil 28) gives nothing in that generic respect, so the behaviour of the software has changed.

So, indeed, the connector symbol library is a good workaround, thank you :slight_smile:

I really need to start to think about how somebody can interpred the stuff i link. I did not think that my linked post can be read in that way. Just to make it clear: I do not recomment to use a connector symbol to represent an IC. The post i linked to was an answer to a question about connectors. There it is ok to use a connector symbol.

Tha part i wanted you do read is the part after the horizontal line (Starting with: “I have the feeling you do not yet understand what symbols are. In kicad there is no real concept of a component. …”)

3 Likes