General approach to KiCad updates - parallel versions?

With every new version, less proficient users face uncertainty on how to proceed.
It seems that KiCad is designed to install new versions in parallel with old versions. (For Windows “C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\kicad.exe”, followed by “C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\bin\kicad.exe”. then “C:\Program Files\KiCad\7.0\bin\kicad.exe”)

Keeping all the files for the parallel versions is not a big problem for disk space, but over time, it becomes confusing to track which projects are made with KiCad 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on. There are differences in the UI and other behaviors as well.
Yet there does not seem to be a straightforward way of installing a new KiCad version as a replacement, and have everything work just like it did with the prior version. Could I just install KiCad 8 and have it replace KiCad 7, and existing projects and libraries would continue to be usable and unaffected?
Threads about upgrading tend to have discussion on re-installing libraries, and copying library files from version N-1 to version N directories.

The software and environment are very flexible, so I’m sure many approaches are possible. Still it would be helpful to have some guidance for those that only use KiCad occasionally and are not able to build expertise.

This article provides a good understanding of how to set up libraries the first time, but does not get into maintaining libraries between KiCad versions and managing updates.

I cannot comment on this. A Windows user may assist you.
I use Linux Ubuntu which automatically replaces, whether I want it or not.

All projects are unaffected and will Open in a newer Kicad version. The only catch is, once Saved in the newer version, those projects will no longer open in an older version of Kicad.

Kicad supplied Libraries are continually being upgraded in both quality and content. If you use Kicad libraries, it is well worth accepting the “Recommended” library installation that is shown during the Program installation to get the “latest and greatest” Kicad libraries.

Personal Libraries, like Projects, are unaffected by installing a newer Kicad version. Personal Libraries created in an earlier version of Kicad always open in a newer version of kicad (I don’t know if a symbol/footprint created in a Personal Library with a later version of Kicad can be opened in an earlier version of Kicad: I’ve never tried).
Personal Libraries do, however, need to be re-installed into Kicad at every major upgrade. eg. 6 to 7.
Unfortunately, Personal Libraries need to be re-installed individually. There is no bulk installation method.
There are two methods for installation of Personal Libraries:
1/ Open Symbol/Footprint Editor > File > Add Library, then follow the windows.
2/ Open any Editor > Preferences > Manage Symbol/Footprint Library, then use the instructions to add your Personal Libraries (same method as described in the link you supplied).

In Linux (unless you do something extraordinary) you can only have one (major) version. When you open a project made with a previous version it will tell you that and you can back out without saving. It is also a good idea to make a note in the project what version was used. For me a PDF of the schematic serves that purpose, as the version is displayed in the title block.

In Windows, it’s possible to have multiple (major) versions installed in parallel. Installing a new version doesn’t touch your projects or personal libraries, but you have to migrate those if you want to use a later version for a project, and then you can’t go back for that project, so work on a copy.

Patch level updates are safe to install and won’t affect projects and libraries, except that some bugs will be fixed.

I don’t migrate all my projects on version upgrade. Some I will never go back to as they were forgettable designs or the parts are all used up. Besides I can always get more boards made from the gerbers if I don’t have any changes. If I do want to continue to work on the project, I migrate a copy.

On my Windows PCs, I create a folder Documents\7.0, Documents\8.0 and so on.
In these folders, I have several folders, including projects.
When I want to work on a project on the newer version, I copy the project from the older version tree to the newer tree and then open it there. Then when I save it, it is in the newer version and the old project is untouched.

1 Like