Funny Story: My Grandpa and the World of PCB Manufacturing!

Hey folks,

I thought I’d share a funny story with you that happened recently. So, my grandpa is a wise man, but sometimes he thinks he knows better than me, especially when it comes to technology.

Recently, I told him that I’m designing some PCBs and thinking about getting them manufactured. He actually said that companies like JLCPCB, which I hear about all the time, would produce and sell the PCBs I design - but not to me! I couldn’t help but laugh when he said a PCB measuring 20x47cm would probably cost a fortune!

I tried to explain the actual process to him, but I don’t think he was entirely convinced. Has anyone else had similar experiences or maybe have tips on how to approach the topic with him?

Looking forward to hearing your stories and advice!

Is it worth arguing?

If you want to convince him, take him to a computer, introduce him to a design made with KiCad, show him how you open the manufacture web page, upload the gerbers, place the order, pay it. Give the manufacturer your grandpa’s address where they can send the boards.

EDIT: if he’s very stubborn, make him add some text to the board before creating gerbers so that he sees you’re not cheating.

Hehee, this is funny…

Idea: i make a Ruler Out of PCB, than he never forget it! But a explanation from a expert would do it also! Does such a explanation exists on YouTube? I know a Lot of the PCB-Manufacturing, but only from Reading. But let the Ruler manufactured would be a Lot of stress for me, cause im by the way 14! Hehehee… Tech ist my Hobby! And my dad don’t understand Family Link, If He would, Family Link would are No Problem! We hate Family Link! And this ist the Point why i can’t pay online!

I have never heard Family Link term.
I don’t give to any internet shop my credit card data being enough to charge it.
To pay online I always use only bank quick payments.
At shop page I select bank an I am switched directly to bank to login and confirm payment (everything (to whom and how much) is already filled) and then 10s waiting (time for the bank to process the payment) is inserted (with counting down at screen) before I am redirected back to shop to see that shop already knows that my order is paid. This way I don’t give any critical information to anyone except my bank. Confirmation is protected by second channel (SMS) use.
Quick payments works since 15+ years I think and they are free for customers.
Few years ago I sow information that Chines Aliexpress entered our quick payment system. I suppose it is not possible for me to pay that way JLCPCB so I will not order anything there :slight_smile:

20x47 cm is a big board, and might not be as cheap as you think…

1 Like

FWIW: 20x47 costs app. 66 USD, 5 pcs, 2 layers, no extras. The weight is 1.75kg, so shipping costs will be significantly adding to that.

1 Like

For a 14-year old that’s a fortune, so granpa may be righ after all :smiley:

2 Likes

Depending on location and the family’s economic circumstance, the problem may not be as challenging as you think. I believe US$66.00 in 2024 is roughly equivalent to $5 - $6 in 1965.

I was about that age, in the mid 1960’s, when I started doing hobby electronic projects. I had a small newspaper route that netted a few dollars each week, much of which went toward my projects. Quite a few of my projects - perhaps the majority - still used vacuum tubes. Nearly all used point-to-point wiring since a DIY PCB was impractical and expensive, though some projects published in magazines offered a bare PCB available for purchase from the publisher. It’s only the last 20 years or so that custom PCB’s have become practical for Mere Mortals doing one-off hobby projects.

I scrounged parts from discarded radio and TV chassis, and some parts were available from the local jobber supplying the radio/TV repair shops, but some items had to be procured from mail-order distributors - Lafayette Radio and Allied Electronics. I had to get my mother to write a check for each order. Initially she wouldn’t do that until my father had checked the order and confirmed I was buying the right things. On a few occasions he would chip in to cover the difference between the cheap substitute I initially ordered, and the more expensive part that the project actually required. He wasn’t too concerned that I would waste my money (which I sometimes did - tuition in the School of Hard Knocks) but he was afraid I’d injure myself on the 100’s of volts required by the vacuum tubes.

Noel ( @Noel_Tech_addict ) it sounds like family dynamics haven’t changed much in 60 years! Design, build, and learn from as many projects as you can afford. Most of all, have fun!

Dale