Front panel design

Hello guys, I am new to using kicad but I learn fast. I have challenge to know if kicad can be used to design panel but front end and back end just like the one I am uploading here

Processing: 20230420_141252.jpg…

In principle yes, but it would probably be my last choice. Check out something like LibreCAD is my suggestion. How big is that panel? 30 x 40 cm?

1 Like

I suggest Inkscape - a freeware graphics program similar to Corel Draw.

1 Like

Thank very much for your suggestion, I will try it

Thanks, I will try this

Secondly which company can I send the design to for printing and if there are other information you can assist me with to help my success.

Secondly which company can I send the design to for printing and if there are other information you can assist me with to help my success. Besides, I an trying to design lab trainers if you have any information regarding design plastic enclosure ad the companies that does that please help inform me too.

I envy :slight_smile:

When (years ago) I wanted to get PCB with no tracks at all but with some openings and simple graphics at it I used PCB design software to get gerbers as outputs to order that PCB (you can order PCB with black soldermask and white silkscreen). If you want you can also easily have a gold texts on it (gold plated copper).
I found it the simpler (and may be cheaper) way than searching for other source of flat rectangles made from some other material.
So my advice is:
If you plan to order it from PCB factory then use KiCad. If no - you can use other drawing software.
LibreCad is strictly technical 2D drawing tool. I don’t know it well. It is not very good in texts, I think.
Inkscape is less technical but more artistic tool. I think you can do with it any vector graphic, but practically don’t know it. I use Inkscape only to generate documentation files of my PCBs (merging svg outputted layers from KiCad).

Thanks. I need the works look typically costum

Meanwhile, I have issues downloading kicad. Pls can I get a direct link

I don’t know what is direct link.
I download KiCad from here selecting CERN as I am in Europe:

Quick example (less than 15 minutes from start to what you see) of Panel done in FreeCAD then,
Exported as .STEP
Created Footprint and linked to the .STEP
Added LED/Switches…

Didn’t bother to wire anything… and, LED/Switches/Screws were done many moon’s ago…

Are these lab trainers to outfit a museum with replicas of some by-gone era ? I hope not for an electronics training program, as a bunch of patch cables like that is a really bad way to prototype a circuit – worse than a standard breadboard, which needs attention to keep opamps from oscillating with all the parasitics. I did smile as it reminds me of 1960’s analog computers with their crazy patch panels, like this one:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/PACE-TR-10_analog_computer_-National_Cryptologic_Museum-_DSC07908.JPG

I believe this is a KiCad technical forum, not a platform to promote your personal views on education and education material.
The OP’s question was to the point.

1 Like

KiCad would work … however I would would go with a software that is geared more for the application at hand.

Front Panel Designer is what i use for panels. https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/front-panel-designer/

it is very intuitive. Been using the software for 8-9 years i think. you can export to most design formats or even print directly. its free to use.

I used openscad.

Kicad is great for designing a front panel as a PCB or use a local engraving company. I use JLCPCB for mine. They can scratch so care is needed ot a lacquer coating perhaps.
See www.hampiradio.com ffor mine…
Cheers, M

I use KiCad to design my own front panels, I have made my own symbols that I use just for this purpose.
Some of my panels have different graphics on the front and back, one has a bass amp on one side and a lead amp on the other side
My panels are simple as I flood fill the whole panel as a ground point and all symbols are connected to this ground plane.
I think with some careful work you could make a 2 sided symbol where the back has tracks for SMD components to mount while the front looks like you want.

The other way you could do this is to make a symbol up for the front panel that shows a component with the holes and then place a SMD component on the back and run tracks to the holes for the front component.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.