Hi out there,
working since many years with EAGLE 4.15 now it gets time to change things over to a new PCB CAD. From several posts in several forums I got some rather distinct picture and the impression that the recent KiCAD 6.0.8 might be an option to try.
It seems that schematic entry, PCB layouting and the back-annotation between both seem to work quite fine - this is a rather important point since I need to ensure consistency of schematic and board. But in some forums dating back to 2018 or so I find some threads that claim on issues with this. I am not sure if this is all gone or if there are some remnants still occuring with recent versions. Here come my first questions to the users here:
- Backannotation between schematic and layout is 100 % reliable?
- Is it somewhat similar to EAGLE where I used to have both files open when working on the stuff?
One more point is the transfer of EAGLE files to KiCAD. I noticed several sources of information that tell that it is possible and how it is done … BUT:
- My EAGLE files still are 4.15! Is there someone who can tell me how I can prepare them for a transfer from old binary format into the later .xml?
- Are there any pitfalls or other needs that may cause some rework on the files converted to KiCAD?
Since some devices I am using are rather special I sometimes build a library for such goodies. It would be way more worse than just a pity to loose all this work.
- Is there also a way to import an EAGLE library to KiCAD?
- What are the pitfalls or shortcomes?
- And, of course, is library definition with KiCAD intuitive? (This approach of having a centralized footprint definition to refer from device definitions I really like)
Please forgive me if I might ask this the 1000th time again but I really did not find more than just one thread even mentioning Eagle 4.15.
And: I understand that EAGLE and KiCAD are quite different tools for the same purpose. It is clear to me that EAGLE workflows might not work as I am used to. So if there are recent tutorials dedicated to KiCAD 6.0.x to aid my KiCAD start experience, I would be very glad to get some links to those.