freerouting miscompatibility

Description

I just designed my first PCB using KiCAD! It’s unbelievable quality of the application usability being free software! Such a precedent.

I used the freerouting auto-router as suggested in the KiCad documentation. It’s simple enough to export to it and copy the resulting fulfilled routes over (I’m an avid linux user; and love the idea of splitting discriminate tasks between individual applications). But I noticed a disconcert between the applications when merging back… While the auto-router reports completed status; when copying over KiCad still shows some missing connections!

Thank you!

Steps to reproduce

to reproduce the issue here is the resulting session file from the auto-router. the kicad project used is here.

KiCad Version

Application: KiCad

Version: 6.0.1-79c1e3a40b~116~ubuntu21.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.0.5
	libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1j zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.15.11-76051511-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, gnome, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan 15 2022 20:28:15
	wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.81.0
	ngspice: 34
	Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Freerouting and KiCad may well interpret connectivity DRC slightly differently.

I advise you to upgrade to 6.0.4 if available in your distro, which fixes many bugs since your 6.0.1

I took your .kicad_pcb file, deleted all tracks and zones, and generated a .dsn file. Then I ran freeRouting and generated a .ses file. It imported into the PCB with no missing connections. So I can’t reproduce your problem. I’m using KiCad 6.0.4 and freeRouting 1.5.0.

I do see that your commited .kicad_pcb file has DRC warnings about vias not connecting to the stated Cu layer, but those are not uncompleted connections per se as there are no ratsnest lines left over.

Perhaps clear the tracks and zones and try again? One thing to watch out for is that on the first run freeRouting caches the design parameters, including track widths and clearances. If you change them between runs, be sure to tell freeRouting not to read in the saved settings for the board but to get them from the .dsn file.

1 Like

So I can’t reproduce your problem. I’m using KiCad 6.0.4 and freeRouting 1.5.0.

thanks for confirming!

I do see that your commited .kicad_pcb file has DRC warnings about vias not connecting to the stated Cu layer, but those are not uncompleted connections per se as there are no ratsnest lines left over.

I dont fully understand this, but I’ll dig further…

ah those warnings are from the manual connections i had to make…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.