Footprints not showing in browser, nor chooser

I am struggling with porting V4 projects to V5. I read a bunch of posts like (Installing multiple versions on Windows) and at least now I have a new set of config files. I can see the footprints with the editor, including the 3D shapes.

I think something is busted with the footprint browser and this post (Footprint viewer is empty) talks about V4, so I am at a loss.
The problem is that when I edit a schematic symbol and then try to view its footprint (clicked on button with red circle), the right window pane is blank.

I have more to add, but as a new user I am limited to one picture… more info coming.

If I click on the 3D view, it shows fine. This tells me the tool knows where the models are.

The footprint chooser also shows a blank pane.

Here is the install info, running on Windows 7 Professional:
Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Environment:
KICAD_CONFIG_HOME=C:\Users\pescatore.GIT\AppData\Roaming\kicad5
KICAD_SYMBOL_DIR=C:\InstalledPrograms\KiCADV5\KiCad\share\kicad\library
KICAD_TEMPLATE_DIR=C:\InstalledPrograms\KiCADV5\KiCad\share\kicad\template
KISYS3DMOD=C:\InstalledPrograms\KiCADV5\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d
KISYSMOD=C:\InstalledPrograms\KiCADV5\KiCad\share\kicad\modules

I started this schematic from scratch in V5.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Looks like a rendering bug. If you place a footprint in pcbnew (any footprint) do you see it there? Do you see it under all modern/legacy toolsets?

Yep, the footprints show up in pcbnew. They are also visible with the footprint assignment tool in the schematic by clicking on the footprint preview icon.

please report this over at the bugtracker.

I am also affected by this.

The “Choose Footprint” dialog shows a big black square after selecting a footprint, and then it gets drawn as soon as you move the mouse into the black area.

I can not make a screenshot of this, because as soon as the “Choose Footprint” window looses focus the footprint also gets drawn in the black area.

Application: kicad
Version: 5.1.0+dfsg1-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.64.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1b zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.36.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.19.0-4-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.67.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.64.0
Compiler: Clang 7.0.1 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Edit:
Bug report made as:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1824505

Edit:
Added video of screen capture:
vokoscreen-2019-04-12_12-41-26.mkv (845.3 KB)

Most Footprints only show when the mouse enters the black area, but sometimes it is rendered immediately as it should, such as the SW_Cherry_MX1A_2.2u_Plate at 20s into the video.

again the reminder: please report this as a bug over at launchpad.

There are also tools out there that allow to take a screenshot after some specific delay. Or maybe even better here: take a screencast that shows not only that the footprint is not rendered but also that any update to the preview area ensures it is rendered.

I can no longer reproduce this problem. I replaced all the symbols that had been “rescued” from importing a V4 project to V5. Then I noticed I could see the footprints again. However, re-selecting the rescued symbols did not make the problem come back. Smooth sailing for now.
Thank you for reading.