Footprints no showing

PCBnew not showing footprints.
In Footpints editor also not showing up.

Linux HP8430 5.3.0-28-generic #30~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 06:14:09 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Kicad 5.1.6

fp_lib_table seems ok.
Settings in preferences ok.
netlist ok.
Anyone experience with solving this problem ?
Thanks in advance

PCBNew window Rightmost side, click “Items” tab and make sure if Footprints front/back are enabled.

Could you be a bit more detailed what you mean with

and

In particular:
how did you determine these things? What do you expect vs what do you see? Did it work in the past or in a different setup? Do you get any error messages?

Hallo Rene, thanks for responding.
fresh install and reinstall ( for making sure) Kicad .
no error messages on display.

refering to fp_lib_tabel: I did comparing it with posted in Github…google search…
afbeelding

Hallo fred4u,
thanks for responding.
Yes I invested in long search…
Settings seems ok :afbeelding

Since you show 5.1.6 I’m guessing you did the install via this method:

and not the official ubuntu repo?

afbeelding

To me it seems ok.

Is there a difference ?

sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5.1
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends kicad

Potentially. I use Debian stable and was pretty much forced to roll my own early on. The ppa generally works for most and using it takes out another layer to deal with. Not sure where the official release version is now.

Just to be sure I’m on the same page.

First, make sure the footprint libraries installed.

Then.

Footprint editor.
Choose library.
Choose component.

remains empty :slightly_frowning_face:

That seems to be a rendering issue as the footprints are shown in the tree view. (A library setup issue means the libs would appear empty in the tree)

So i would suggest you switch between accelerated and fallback rendering modes (F11 and F12) and see what happens. You could also try legacy (if even available under your system) but that would lose the new tools.

FYI you need a opengl 2.0 (or was it pumped to 3.something) compatible graphics setup (graphics card plus correct drivers. Under linux drivers can be an issue especially with laptops as they often have a dual setup where you have a low power option included in the processor plus an external one.)

1 Like

It’s 2.1. Very old, but some users still have machines which don’t support it. But even if the machine/drivers supports it, there may be problems.

1 Like

Solved ! :smiley:
F12 did the trick, many thanks, Rene

You might still want to investigate why hardware acceleration does not work on your system. After all the software renderer might struggle with complicated boards. Assuming you have a dedicated graphics chip then maybe check if there is a driver supplied by that chips vendor as the open source alternatives are not always the best option. Also check the known issues page if your card is listed as one of the problematic ones.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.