Footprinteditor shows only nothing - on MacOS (M1)

I started to create a new device. The symbol is fine, but I don’t succeed to create any footprint. Even when I select an existing one, I see nothing:

This is my version-info:
Application: ModEdit
Version: (5.1.10-1-10_14), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.77.0 SecureTransport (LibreSSL/2.8.3) zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.42.0
Platform: macOS Version 10.16 (Build 21A559), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.75.0
OpenCASCADE Technology: 7.5.1
Curl: 7.54.0
Compiler: Clang 10.0.1 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=ON
USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

In addition:
This is my system:

I have the same when I click once at footprint name.
The key is to double-click it.

1 Like

I tested this as well - no difference. With right-click, I only get the chance to create or add a new library…

I’d suggest changing the title of your thread to include the word Mac.
The problem is obviously to do with libraries so this will probably attract Mac users to help you.

Windows, KiCad 5.1.12 (but 5.1.10 was the same).
With right-click the menu depends if you click at footprint name or at footprint description. For me it should be the same - just another part of the same position in tree.
Double click opens footprint in editor if click at footprint name or description

With right-click on description I can export - but not edit!

It looks like a bug to me.
Even when no footprint is selected nor loaded in the footprint editor, the drawing area should be rendered.

It’s a wild guess, but maybe this is related to using the “fallback” toolset for rendering (In Preferences).

I just downloaded KiCAD 6 nightly build. It works now!

@paulvdh’s wild guess is correct. If you ever decide to go back to 5.1.x, select Preferences Menu -> Modern Toolkit (Accelerated).

The fallback option does not work on MacOS, and you just get a grey screen. 5.99/6 removed the fallback option on MacOS, so you only get options that work.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.