Footprint Using FreeCAD and StepUp - Video Tutorial

I imagine there are similar posts like this one but, I needed to figure out the problems I was having with StepUp as related to FreeCad. At the end, I documented it (mostly for myself’s future need after I forget - I was born in the 1940’s and my memory is like an 8k ram) so, I made a Gif Video.

Been using FreeCad since it’s early release and after dialing in the issues with StepUp, I boiled it all down to the Best compatibility between FreeCad and StepUp.

Thus, using FreeCad V17 and StepUp V8.1.0.8. (Tried different versions of both… yuk!)

Having done that, vid shows the “General Step’s “ in Making a FreeCad Part for KiCad.
It does not go through actually making the Part details (you can learn FreeCad elsewhere).
Making movies is not my forte’ but, does help pass the Covid19 time away…

It quickly goes through:
Setting up the FreeCad File
Coloring the Part
Exporting the .Step two ways
Using it in KiCad for a Footprint

There are many ways to do this stuff, this is what works for me…

The .GIF quality was significantly reduce for uploading. Viewing is somewhat okay at Browser Zoom of ≤200

FreeCad_KiCad_Footprint.mp4

Do you have a link to download the original from one of the many cloud services (DropBox, Box, OneDrive, GooglePhotos, etc)?

Thanks for prompting me to upload… It’s posted on Youtube.
Here’s the Link

1 Like

As you are experienced FreeCAD user and are boring now can you read a question I posted at FC forum (some time ago):
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42260
That question is still not solved for me.
I didn’t reread that thread now but my conclusion those time was:
If I wont to have more then one colour in STEP file I should not use PartDesign WB (using FC 0.18). Also may be with FC 0.19 it is possible to have several colors with PartDesign WB, but I am using stable 0.18.
My problem was that when starting to read anything about FC my decision was: I will be using PartDesing, but when tried to do anything I got into problem: I can have any surfaces coloured as I wont at screen, but after save all my colors disappear, and when exporting to STEP they also disappear.
Since then I have designed some 3D part models using Part WB and one (ferrite = single color model) using PartDesign WB.
In the thread starting post I link the other therad where from the file I was experimenting with comes. I hope that file can allow you to reproduce my problems and may be you will be able to point me the key action I should do to be able to have many colors from Body exported to STEP or just tell me what I was doing wrong.
Those were my first experiments with FC. Since then I also didn’t spend a lot time with FC. I just assumed to have many colors from PartDesign is impossible, but what you have written here says something opposite so I’m confused.
Edit.
And one more… I was born in 1950’s so … you know :slight_smile:

This response is a bit long, forgive me…

I quickly read your post at the Freecad forum. That said, this may clear your confusion about FreeCad (FC)…

PREFACE
• FC’s GUI is simply a GUI Shell
• The GUI Shell presents a handfull of Selectable Workbenches (WB)
• The various WB’s are simply (to be considered) as Stand-Alone programs; e.g., Part, PartDesign, Draft, FEM… etc
• The WB’s can utilize internal API’s from other WB’s BUT!, there is no management of syntax that results in users clarity.

And, some common Tools/Resources look and smell the same but, do not taste the ‘same’.
Example: PartDesign WB and Part WB both offer Boolean operations and the Icon’s are the same (see screenshot) BUT, they do not work the same, do not offer the same features or always produce the same results.

• Some Tools are more useful and knowing ‘What, Where and How’ is learned by experimenting and making notes.

• I think of PartDesign as being similar to SolidWorks, Inventor, Pro-E Wildfire).

• I think of Part as similar to Programs embedded in 3D slicing software that do Boolean (Primitives) operations.

• I think of Draft as somewhat similar to Graphics programs like Inkscape and EZdraw.

Between those three, I get what I want and utilize elements from each, including Adding their Tools to the PartDesign (and other) toolbars and/or switching to the WB.

A comment about the ‘Features’ of the Models:

• To avoid confusion of “Terminology” (especially the word “Part”, I’ll call the thing in Design a “Gizmo”. Thus, A “Part” File has “Part” (I call a gizmo).

• Gizmo’s and Bodies can be Dragged into/out-of the Tree in/out of other Gizmo’s.

• They can be ‘Copied’ and ‘Duplicated’ (these are Not the same thing and sometimes one works better than the other - depends on purpose).

• The “File” can have No, One, or Multiple “Parts (gizmo’s) and Multiple Bodies”.

• A “Part (gizmo)” the Yellow stairstep icon, can have multiple Bodies or a single Body

That said, and to the point of ‘Coloring, Saving and Exporting’

• PartDesign wants your Gizmo to have a single “Appearance” from the MenuBar(MB)’ View>Appearance

• BUT, you can use the “Color Per Face” tool in Part’s WB to color a ‘Face’ on the gizmo in PartDesign.
The Tool is Not available from MB, it needs to be added to a Toolbar. I added it the the PartDesign Toolbar (screenshot).

Usage:
• First, Make the Part and Body Active (double-click the desired Body or, the Part then Desired Body
• To enable the already added tool, First select a Face on the gizmo
• Click the tool - that will open a panel and will auto un-select the Face. Thus, re-select the Face and other faces (hold CMD key for multiple faces.
• Then, select desired color.
• Save-As the file. Note: “Copy File” will blow away the color. Save-As retains the color.

Example Video (Note: the Tool is Off-Screen on far right of my Toolbar, you won’t see the clicking of it).

I opened an existing file, colored three faces, Saved-As, Closed file. Re-Opened the file…

Regarding Files with Multiple Parts/(Gizmos) and Bodies…

• Preference is to have One Gizmo and One Body BUT, can have multiple… Depending on how you do it may require using the “Make Compound” tool in Part WB or, Boolean Fusing in PartDesign.

If using a Compounded or Fused gizmo, then MUST color it’s Faces and export it!

Go explore, learn and push the limits… Here’s a quickly done Ribbon cable photo… done with same process just described…

Video and Screenshots…

coloringIt.mov ![Screen Shot 2020-04-14

3 Likes

Forgot to conclude with (and, the video below was done with Freecad 18. The previous done with Freecad 17.

• Sometimes things are not consistently repeatable and need an alternative approach - especially when Exporting.

Generally, I find if Something doesn’t work as it previously did, it relates to FreeCad’s internal happiness.
Thus, there may be a few Alternatives. The following may help…

• Make a Compound of the Gizmo
• Hide the Parent gizmo
• Color the faces of the Compound
• Export the Compound (can simply Export or use StepUp)

Video shows this… After exporting I load both of the exported step file - they retained the color… and are ready to use in Kicad

StepOut.mov

1 Like

I asked and then got interrupt. Few minutes after I started (today morning) to serve first I got next. Whole day passed and the first is not served and second I even not started. Now is 0:52 here and I saved the link to this thread to not lost it. Will read slowly and carefully.

Never heard of any of them - FC is first 3D software I have ever seen. I have never feel any need for 3D so was not looking for it and now I am trying to tame FC only because I’d like to insert 3D KiCad PCB views in my documentation and not all footprints have 3D models.

Didn’t thought of dragging anything to/from Tree :slight_smile:

I suppose (only suppose) it can’t be done using only PartDesign WB. Am I right?
I have seen some videos about PartDesign but they were concentrated on using different tools but all the time on the one Body.
If there are multiple Bodies in a File I suppose StepUp export to KiCad models can’t export them as one model until they are connected someway (currently I don’t know how).
I accepted that Body is one piece of material so has one colour then I understand that even if I colored legs of my Diode bridge body that color was lost during save or export. If I could make something of several bodies then I expect each Body could have its own material and so a color.

I brak at that place (now 1:41). Suppose to continue tomorrow (means today) late evening (means may be tomorrow morning).

There are several ways to do coloring other than my way…

I use ‘PartDesign’ WB 99% of the time.
I use ‘Part’ WB only if needed.

StepUp wants to export from a Single, unified gizmo or, selected Multiple Unified gizmos.
To make the gizmo unified, there are Two choices:

1. Design with one Body
  2. Design with multiple bodies and unify them.

Option’s to Unify them:
PartDesign - Boolean/Fuse
Part - Boolean/Union and/or MakeCompound

PartDesign will export what you need with colors but, must use the Tool called “Color Per Face”.
That tool needs to be added to your PartDesign Toolbar.
Can also add the ‘Boolean’ tools that are used in ‘Part’ WB, if desired. That way, all the Tools are in one Toolbar in the PartDesign WB.

Correct, each Body can have its own color. But, if only one body, you can color any of its Faces.

Deciding to use One Body or Multiple Bodies:
• Depends on purpose of model
• Depends on complexity of model and bodies
• Example: Two different Housing sizes, One (same) Contact Pins
• Best choice for simplicity or Newbie is One Body

Perhaps the Easiest solution is to use a Graphics program to color the Image. Example below uses screenshot of Colored KiCad’s 3Dview - changed colors using a Paint app…

colorByPB.mov

2 Likes

Because menu Tools-Save picture didn’t worked enough good for me and I failed with my tries with rendering according to someone’s advice I installed the pre 0.19 version (I did it 20.02 and it was last time I have done anything with FC).
Today I tried (in 0.19) to repeat what I was doing (with colors those time). I add the file with simple model (say it is old fashioned ceramic capacitor).
OldCap.FCStd (12.1 KB)
To color legs I right-clicked Pad002 and selected “Set colors…” and I see the box titled “Set color per face”. Then using box selection and clicking in color box I have set my color for all leg faces.
I noticed that with 0.19 I can save it and my colors are not lost (better that it was in 0.18)
Is it the other way of accessing the “Color Per Face” tool you are writing about or it is something different = wrong in that case?
When I try exporting (body needs to be selected) it using (updated today) KiCadStepUp “Export 3D model to KiCad” (the only StepUp tool I know what it is for) the following things happen:

• the exported STEP file has only one color - why?
  • the leg faces color in FC 3D window disappear - why?
  • the tree view is totally reorganized (Body jumps below both Pads) - why?

My solution to this last problem (when I successfully exported models made with Part WB) is to close file without saving.
I didn’t fully understood all you have written - I will read it some more times.

My main question is - if I will use the method of coloring you suggest (assuming it is different) I will have no those problems?

The other basic question (different subject) - if I open New file, create a Body (only one click at icon) and then select Tasks tab I see Start Boolean box and really can’t do anything with it. It looks that I should have several bodies to use it - if so it should be not active till I have more than one body. I suppose it can be the way to have the KiCad part model made of several bodies and each body with different color. So may be KiCad part model can be done with using only PartDesign without help of tools from other WBs. I can imagine that using tools from Part in PartDesign can in some time in future stop working because of … unknown reason. So if making a models for KiCad using only PartDesign tools is possible it would be the preferred way for me. Till now I used Part (+ Sketcher) in 90% just because I know how to make KiCad element models, but would like to move to PartDesign.

And the last subject. Making a simple model of PCB (without elements, used as an element) I would like to place on it its name (normally Silk layer). Is it possible to place texts in FC without defining all letters in a sketch manually? May be the simplest way would be to define it in KiCad (I have it defined with Protel because of round tracks) and using StepUp export to FC (I hope Silk is exported).

Please have a look at the StepUp Cheatsheet available in the FC ‘Ksu’ ‘Demo’ Menu
Select the Body and use the StepUp Buttons ‘Make a Union’ or ‘Make a Compound’ and the export the object result of the action.
OldCap-reviewed.FCStd (14.0 KB) make-union-compound

1 Like

This might be a basic FreeCAD question, but what is the difference between Union and Compound? In what situations is Union preferable to Compound, and vice versa?

Whatever combination of versions/tools that work, stick with them, and trial-error is part of getting there.

My notes/text for the ‘BlackCoffee’ example video I posted defines the versions of FC and StepUp used to successfully do the video, and, seeing it is the proof…

This, being a KiCAD site, is probably not the place for much discussion about FC and, the FC site is pretty good for general learning about FC and getting help. Unfortunately, when it comes to ‘Cross-Use’ of programs, well…

Attached is a FC file that Works for me. FCv17.
This part was Exported from the PartDesign WB, not from StepUp.

To confirm it for your playing with, I Compounded it.
Then, I opened it in FC18 (though it was made in v17).
I exported the Step from PartDesign, just as it was. And, closed the file.
I Opened the Step in v18 and it loaded with the correct colors.
So, you may repeat that in v18. But, again, the file was made and colored in v17.

Tips:
There are different ways of selecting what to export, as previously mentioned. Make a cheat-sheet of the versions/combinations/results that you try. Then, you will know. Try all possible combinations.

After making a Compound, Hide the Part/Body but keep the Compound visible and Color the Faces of the Compound. Export the compound from PartDesign AND from StepUp, Both will work (in the versions I use).

Regarding ‘PartDesign’ and ‘Body’:
It is correct that a Body does not need to be in a ‘Part’ BUTTTT (emphasis) I highly recommend it.
Set up you file as shown below (this way provides broad flexibility for various actions and containment of Parts and Bodies and Export/Imports.

coloring_it.FCStd (79.5 KB)

Good question.

Answer: Union is a Boolean operation performed on Two bodies. Try doing three bodies and see what happens.
Compound is a coded Multi-Boolean operation disguised in one word called Compound. But, it’s still boolean.

Preference for usage: Obviously, if needing to make One gizmo from Two gizmos, Union is a first choice (for some folks). Compound also works for making One gizmo from Two/more gizmos.

If making One gizmo from, say three gizmos, Compounding is first choice.
But, it’s possible to Union gizmo1 and gizmo2 into gizmo1-2 and compound it with gizmo3.
You might think of that as being the coded boolean, ‘Compound’.

How did I learn this stuff? By making cheat-sheets and notes thru experimenting.

During last 2 years I have read it 4…6 times. I have also printed it few (at least 3) times (new versions) and read each printed copy with marker in hand.
In my opinion it is probably the very good cheatsheet for someone who knows what is for what. But it is really not helpful for me to learn to use StepUp (the reason - my too small knowledge about FC).
For example when I:

• have one body with colored faces,
  • assume (as I see at 3D view) there is enough information in it to make a KiCad 3D model (with few colors),

then reading your Cheatsheet I would never notice ‘Make a Union’ or ‘Make a Compound’ as being in any way usable for my needs. I have only one body and these tools at least looks like to be used if you have 2 or more bodies/parts so my conclusion is - these tools are not for my current situation - I skip over them assuming they are probably usable when you have more things at screen (like imported PCB, imported box).
What I didn’t found about StepUp is something like how to do some basic tasks it is intended to be used for. Step by step. I suppose the screenshots are not important in it. Just the text what tools should be used one after another (with some text description).
The other I would see as being very useful (for someone like me to learn) would be for each tool not only the information what it is doing but also a list o common situations when this tool should be used and why. If such chapter would be added (may be other document as cheatsheet (from definition) should be as short as possible - just to fast remind what you already know) then there I would probably find the information under the 'Make a Union" tool telling to use it for a body with colored faces before exporting it to KiCad 3D model.
By the way I suppose in the export 3D model tool you probably can notice the situation when there is a body with colored faces that will be lost. Showed in such situation window telling what is wrong and what should be done to work around would be in my opinion the best solution in that case.

Recently I noticed more and more new users posted here (very good). Sooner or later some of them will go to FC and StepUp. Among them some will have (like me) the first contact with 3D, and I assume some of them will follow my way.

• I have read about FC - my conclusion - I will use only PartDesign as more modern approach then Part,
  • learned enough of PartDesign to think I know enough to start doing myself,
  • made a body and found the way to get colored faces,
  • failed with export to KiCad (reading about StepUp didn’t helped me)
  • asked at FC forum,
  • was told that body is by definition the element made by one piece of material and to have several materials better will be to use Part,
  • learned how to use Part and made some models,
  • all the time I didn’t know how to do it using PartDesign.

Having in mind such new users think how to teach them the first basic use of StepUp and KiCad - to make lacking 3D models for your PCBs.

I didn’t tried yet what you have written (sorry) - will try it now.

You faster generate the information then I am able to process :slight_smile:
Specially at the same time I am trying to solve two problems rised:

• new RFID antenna has worse results then I expected,
  • we changed the PC used for production and … - very unusual - our PDI programmer connected by RS232 (previously) and by USB-RS232 interface now works_ok_in_all except one - it reads LockBits as being always 0x00. That is 240 km away from me and I can’t reproduce the problem here.

Ok. It works!
Perfect - at the end it looks that I can do KiCad 3D models using only PartDesign and StepUp.
But I would like to know how to interpret what I see in tree view. I know it is not KiCad but FC, but I’d like to get only general overview connected with actions needed to get a KiCad 3D models.
Till now my understanding was like:

• in PartDesign under the body there are the sequence of operations done for it to get the result - so if you wont to mark the end result you should select the last operation as that means that operation and all made previously,
  • in Part I understand tree differently - elements lower (more to the right) in tree (leaves) are used to construct the element more to the left (for me it is higher, like also in directory structure, but comparing with tree someone can call it lower), and then these elements can be used to construct the next higher level elements.

Now to use that ‘Make a Union’:

• I should select the Body - why selecting the last operation (Pad001) to mark the end effect of my actions is wrong in this case,
  • after making a union of Body the Body_sp was added (as last operation under Body) - what it is and how to understand it in tree,
  • how to understand why I should select that Body_sp when I wonted to export my Body (with colors) as KiCad 3D model.

I just feel a very big lack in understanding what is in the tree. For me the best would be if I could right-click at any element in tree and there among actions to be done I would see “What it is” and could get such info. Is there something like that or I should ask FC developers for it :slight_smile:

There are plenty of sources to learn from. Best to start with FreeCAD’s documentation.
Here’s the link
You can also get there from FreeCad>help… and, The Start workbench has some useful stuff…

Everything I know about FC comes from that documentation. But I’d like to be able to decompose files made by someone and understand how it was done and why that way.

How have you done that multiwire cable? I’m not asking for video, but for the conception - list of tools used one after another.

Connector1: Rectangular padded feature
Sweep-Along-Path for cable (sketch for Path, sketch for cross-section
Connector2: Rectangular padded feature