"Footprint type does not match pads" DRC rule not working as expected

Board setup/DRC section allows to select many different rules.
Among others, there’s “Footprint type does not match footprint pads”.
I assumed that it will be triggered if my fooprint is set to TH and have SMD pads, or the other way around.
However, I deliberately changed my LQFP footprint to TH (fabrication attribues section), and regardless if I set the DRC to Error or Warning, it happily ignores the discrepancy.

So… What is the use of this particular Design Rule to be checked? Or maybe it’s a Bug/not implemented feature?
I’d be rather content to be able to spot wrongly defined footprints, as (at least for my imported old project) there are many places the footprint type is set wrong.

First: which version do you use? (It always helps to reproduce your issue. For this particular questions it’s now to late - I have already tested with v6.0.4 and v6.99).

So… What is the use of this particular Design Rule to be checked? Or maybe it’s a Bug/not implemented feature?

I would expect the same functionality as you have described in your post. So for me this also looks like a bug. Affects v6.0.4 and v6.99. Try to file an gitlab-issue if you want.

Maybe it helps: the footprint-checker (directly in the library footprint-editor) correctly detects these sort of mistake.

Stupid me. :shame:
I’m on 6.0.4.
Thanks for checking. I’ll issue bug ticket on Gitlab.

Gitlab report: "Footprint type does not match footprint pads" Design Rule ignored on Board-wide DRC (#11437) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.