Footprint "relative to reference item" not working !?

I recently installed KiCad 6 new after a windows reset/upgrade, and now It refuses to position the footprint as it used to work.

For exact location, I imported a DXT file and positioned the footprint via position “relative to reference item”. This worked great in the past and is really fast.

HOWEVER: Now, It won’t work any more, even tough the footprints are still the same. And yes I’ve checked the footprint origin many times. Interestingly, it still works for footprint that have a NPTH hole.

For reference, I put a test project together to show this behaviour.

testlib.pretty.zip (1.3 KB)
position_test.zip (22.6 KB)

Does anybody know a solution or at least have some ideas why suddenly I’m facing that problem?

Thanks in advance

It is probably because you selected a group and not single items. with a group Kicad will use the first selected item as anchor point and does not change the distances the other items have to the first item. So if you want to have the pad and the hole both on your 0,0 you have to do the step for both of them individually.

so when you say a group, what do you mean? I selected the entire footprint, even when I select only the THT pin, the entire footprint gets selected as soon as I start move…

But what is really confusing me is, it was working in the past.

In the meantime, I found a workaround soi I can proceed working, but it is annoying anyway. I have to temporally change the THT pin to a NPTH mechanical hole. Then I can position it properly and change the footprint back.

yeah sorry my bad I miss read the situation here and thought the through hole and the pad were two different footprints.

You are right this looks like a bug here. it seems like Kicad does not uses the footprint anchor for positioning in this cases but for some reason one of the SMD pads. I could confirm this on my side as well. If it is important to you you should create a bug report on the kicad gitlab.

It’s just, …the easiest way to ensure components are in the right place to fit later physically to front plates, cutouts and things like that. Especially since I have the DXT anyway. And it is quick!

How do I create a bug report?

go there and simply follow the examples of the other issues there. but you need an user account over there.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.