Footprint generator for 3x8 2.54mm (0.1in) pin header?

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

Hello, all,

I’m trying to create a board that requires a 3x8 pin header on 2.54mm (0.1 inch) pitch. Can any of the KiCAD built-in footprint generators do this? I didn’t see one that seemed to indicate pin headers, but I don’t know most of the acronyms used in the footprint generator listing.

So far, I’ve done this by just stacking footprints of three 1x8 headers next to each other. Is there a better way?

I learned of the KiCAD Footprint Generator Library, at KiCad / KiCad Libraries / KiCad Footprint Generator · GitLab, but was overwhelmed by its complexity. If you tell me this is the way to go, I’ll go back and wade through this.

On a related note, is there a ‘schematic’ connector generator for a 3x8 pin header? I drew it on the schematic as three 1x8 connectors, but I’m not sure this will work with a single 3x8 footprint.

Thanks for any advice or guidance you have for me.

-Kevin

I’ve never used the Wizard . . . just had a quick look, it doesn’t seem to have an option that will fit your requirements . . . but a 3 x 8 header is not complicated, the experience of making your own footprint will help you in the future.

If you are not sure you are doing it right, save what you have been doing and open up a 2 x 8 header for reference . . . or even use that as a starting point. Open it and Save As to your own library.

1 Like

@RaptorUK, thanks for your reponse. The last time I asked a question regarding footprints, I was referred to the Footprint Generator. Thought I’d check there first this time.

I’m familiar with creating footprints, and, using the 2x8 pinheader footprint as a starting point, created a 3x8 footprint in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks, again.

-Kevin

2 Likes

Can be done in three minutes after you find the data sheet.

Make sure you are on a .1 in. grid.
Box select one row of pads and right click “duplicate”.
Position this next row of pads.
Drag the graphic lines on the other layers to their correct locations.
Set your new anchor.
Save.

Another method from scratch if all the distances between the pads are uniform:
Set Grid, create a pad, use the “Array” feature, draw the graphic lines on the various layers, anchor and save.
This is only a couple of minutes also.

There are many features in Kicad to make symbols and footprints really easy and quick to produce. It pays to spend some time exploring the different tools.

Neither have I. It is just so easy to make symbols and footprints that I have never bothered looking at that feature.

The wizard is good for certain types of footprints such as SIP and DIP footprints where it will take care of the courtyard for you. Also for circular arrays like for valves and nixies. I think there’s a BGA wizard too. It’s always good to know of the existence of tools and when to use them. Here’s one I made for the NEC CD83P nixie:

2 Likes